Convertible jet pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Griswold used to make a good jet pump, Grundfos makes a decent one as well. Goulds are probably the best.

Stay away from pumps or tanks sold by big box stores

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of Grundfos jet pumps, they use stainless steel housings which are loud and they have a long history of blowing out threads. They'd have a much better product if they weren't so cheap with the stainless steel, just a little thicker and they'd be fine.

I like Flint&Walling jets, F&W still supports theirs better then most manufacturers, different jets and nozzles are more available. Their housing ratings are really high so I tent to use them in places I need to make a lot of head pressure while pulling from a shallow source.

Goulds is my go to for Jet pumps though, they've been solid for years.

I do wish Burks was still around. I still have a number of those in service from before I was born, they keep going forever.

crombienator

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of Grundfos jet pumps, they use stainless steel housings which are loud and they have a long history of blowing out threads. They'd have a much better product if they weren't so cheap with the stainless steel, just a little thicker and they'd be fine.

I like Flint&Walling jets, F&W still supports theirs better then most manufacturers, different jets and nozzles are more available. Their housing ratings are really high so I tent to use them in places I need to make a lot of head pressure while pulling from a shallow source.

Goulds is my go to for Jet pumps though, they've been solid for years.

I do wish Burks was still around. I still have a number of those in service from before I was born, they keep going forever.
I have an old 1/3 hp convertible jet pump with twin pipes from goulds. I wanna a replace it with something with a little more kick. Is it basically plug and play if I wanted to switch to 3/4 hp?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The new Grundfos has a cast iron pump body so it's infinitely quieter than the stainless ones.

Why not convert the system to a submersible? Quieter, more efficient, better volume & pressure... We do lots of conversions and I've never had anyone call me up asking for their jet pump back.

Where in CT are you located?

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have an old 1/3 hp convertible jet pump with twin pipes from goulds. I wanna a replace it with something with a little more kick. Is it basically plug and play if I wanted to switch to 3/4 hp?

If it's from the same series yes. Pretty much all of the J series convertibles have been using the same housing for years the only difference being the motor and impeller, so all the pipe connections stay in the same place.

Before jumping into changing things around it's always good to ask why it was set up that way to begin with. They may have used a 1/3 HP because it couldn't out-pump the well. Put a larger pump up against the same well and drop pipes it could pull down the well and lose it's prime.

Changing out old deep well jets is always a risk, you shake things up a bit and you might also need to pull the drop pipe because the jet gets plugged with something that came lose.

Overall if you can, changing it over to a submersible system you will see a huge improvement with similar long term costs.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
I've been using Franklin Electric aka AquaDuty convertible deep well jet pumps. You can order them with whatever nose casting you already have so it will bolt up without having to run two pipe style. But goulds is a great choice if available.

If you have a 2" well the submersible conversion will consist of a whole new well unless there's a pump made to fit that I haven't heard about

Also if you go with a F & W try getting a CPJ05 model. The EK models have a smaller impeller and the motor is attached to the frame with tiny through bolts from the back of the motor. So a 1/2 hp EK model actually has a 1/3 hp impeller.

Last edited:

crombienator

Reaction score
If it's from the same series yes. Pretty much all of the J series convertibles have been using the same housing for years the only difference being the motor and impeller, so all the pipe connections stay in the same place.

Before jumping into changing things around it's always good to ask why it was set up that way to begin with. They may have used a 1/3 HP because it couldn't out-pump the well. Put a larger pump up against the same well and drop pipes it could pull down the well and lose it's prime.

Changing out old deep well jets is always a risk, you shake things up a bit and you might also need to pull the drop pipe because the jet gets plugged with something that came lose.

Overall if you can, changing it over to a submersible system you will see a huge improvement with similar long term costs.
How much to make the switch to submersible? Approx

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A Lot of variables

Have to find & dig up the well
How long to break the seal loose?
How far from the house?
Do you need a new tank? Top of the line or contractor grade?
Extend the casing above grade?
Top of the line pump or contractor grade plastic pump?
Do you chance the old offset to carry the pressure or slide a new smaller line inside the 1.25 poly?

crombienator

Reaction score
A Lot of variables

Have to find & dig up the well
How long to break the seal loose?
How far from the house?
Do you need a new tank? Top of the line or contractor grade?
Extend the casing above grade?
Top of the line pump or contractor grade plastic pump?
Do you chance the old offset to carry the pressure or slide a new smaller line inside the 1.25 poly?

1. The well casing is exposed
2. ?
3. 25-30ft
4. I don't think i need a new tank
5. Casing is above grade- it is a 6-8 inch round casing
6. The best for my application
7. I have no clue, looks to my eye that there is room to put a new pipe down past the existing stuff down in the casing, but it depends on the size i suppose. My current line runs underground and through the side of the casing I believe, so the only way to remove it would be to dig down i think?

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The existing stuff is installed using a pitless adapter. The offset pipes go though the side of the well. The drop pipes connect with a slide fitting where those come in. The drop pipes get pulled out through the top of the well.

To convert it they would need to dig down next to the well. The electrical comes up over the top of the well for a submersible.

I typically use the old 1 inch line between the house and well as a conduit for the electrical and pull a 1" CTS line though the 1 1/4" for the water line.

I don't give estimates on the internet. Prices vary widely by region. Get estimates from local companies.

It will save you money if you are willing to dig next to the well yourself rather than paying someone else to dig by hand for hours or bring in an excavator.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen conversions where the two pipe pitless is modified so that the wire comes through the bottom pipe and loops up. Prevents having to dig up and plug one hole of the pitless.

DAN0

Reaction score
I've seen conversions where the two pipe pitless is modified so that the wire comes through the bottom pipe and loops up. Prevents having to dig up and plug one hole of the pitless.
I've often wondered about the conversion? Do you know where one can purchase ? I've changed over lots before but only with the double 90s never with a pitless

Reach4

Reaction score
I've often wondered about the conversion? Do you know where one can purchase ? I've changed over lots before but only with the double 90s never with a pitless
I would think you would cut/disconnect one of the pipes outside of the casing, and route the wires up the outside of the casing with a 1 inch pvc conduit rising up to the well cap. You would seal the extra port, through the casing outside of the casing, if you did not replace the pitless with a single-pipe version somehow.

To run the wires through the pitless into the casing would make pulling the pump strain/cut the wires a lot, I would think.

CA-JB55XLF_1-B.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks