Little help w/ this p-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Ok I lied about the last question being the last question. Seriously, this sink.

My original problem down below was threefold. The sink was too deep and the waste pipe too high, it was stubbed too far out, and I had a really badly designed overflow that emptied into the cheapo strainer they gave me with this sink. I eliminated the overflow problem by designing my own w/ PVC parts and tubing, and got a dishwasher tailpiece into which it could empty. I cut back the stubout almost to the wall, and have a little room to go if needed, but for now it lines up much better.

I originally hoped to solve the height problem by trimming the tailpiece down, but now the dishwasher inlet prevents me from going up as high as I need, and I am short an inch or two.

My first thought was just to glue together a trap, but will a regular glued trap have the same curve as the compression trap? I really don't have much left in terms of going back so it would have to match very closely. Alternatively, any ideas on how to make up that distance, and is it legal to do so?

One last one - can you jam the wall bend into the adapter all the way up to the curve, or will it cause leaking?

Thx as always!

IMG_20160826_233314951.jpg
IMG_20160826_233126963.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

Giantsean

Reaction score
Yeah the tailpiece is a tough one as the pictures are all over the place. I think the trap you posted above is my best bet, or I also found a low height bend (not really a J, more like macaroni-shaped) on another thread. None of the local supply houses carry either so they must be pretty specialized.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A shallow sink drain basket would get you closer too.

The worst case scenario is that you need to open up the wall and lower the sanitary tee, which would only take a few minutes with the right tools and parts on hand.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not as easy to lower it as one might think, as it does not go straight down, rather turns left and travels several feet to the stack pipe.

@hj - I have only seen the low inlet trap in brass (all online) - do you know if they make it in PVC?

At any rate I think I'm good for purchased options. If I wanted to make a glued trap w/ off the shelf parts, that I could still remove, any votes for best design? Where I get jammed up on design is trying to figure out availability of the parts I might possibly need - ie do they make a short straight length with a slip joint end that could glue into a trap on one end?

Giantsean

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks