Pump ran dry, ruined?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yar02169

Reaction score
Hi helpful people.

I bought a Goulds shallow pump (1 HP) last year, and I've been happy with it. The other day I primed the system and got it running for this season of lawn watering. I set the timer to water Tuesday morning, and when I headed out for a chore, there was no water running. I figured I set the timer for PM instead of AM, and decided to check it later. Later was today, Wednesday, when I went to the shed and heard a noise. The pump was running! I felt the motor and the pump, and both were rather warm. I then noticed the discharge pipe was not connected to the pump. As I was reaching to pull the plug, I saw some water sloshing around in the discharge hole.
I re-attached the plumbing, replacing new parts as needed, primed the pump, and plugged it back in. Opened the faucet and waited for the surge of water. I got a stream of water, but not a strong one. The pressure gauge sat around 5 psi instead of the 26-ish I used to get. Shutting off the faucet, the pressure increased to 14 psi, and that's it. I shut it off, and went back some 3 hours later, and the gauge read 12+ psi.
So, the drop in pressure would suggest a leak on the intake, but is that enough to prevent full pressure when running? Or, did the pump go awry while running dry, and now needs a rebuild? What would a rebuild entail? Impeller and the spring & ceramic do-dad thingie? I've rebuilt my old Flotec pumps, so I'm guessing on what the kit contains. I assume Goulds does sell a rebuild kit for their pumps, I haven't done that research yet. In general the pump sounds good, it did manage to draw water up from the well (a whopping 8'), but just not at good pressure. Worn but not ruined is my hope, and any advice will be welcome.

Reach4

Reaction score
First step is to see if the manual tells you how to unclog the jet.

Yar02169

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't believe I have a clogged jet, basically because I don't believe the pump has a jet.
Any recommendations on where to purchase an impeller? My phone is providing few results doing a search.

Yar02169

Reaction score
I have to admit, the manual is lacking information on all levels. The bonus is that it accomplishes this in 3 languages.
To make a correction, it's a 1.5hp (C48C53A06) pump and not 1hp as stated previously.
When I open the housing to see what I need, I will then learn about the jet. Looking on line, the Goulds site talks about not buying copy-cat replacement parts, but at the same time I couldn't find a parts list. I could find a dealer, and he could come fix it, highly unlikely. Online seems to have impellers and shaft seals. If there's no recommended site, I'll hunt around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yar02169

Reaction score
GT 15 is another model number.
I opened it up. I need to shrink pics, but things look ok.
I haven't figured out how to hold the shaft to unscrew the impeller.
The outer part of the impeller shows wear, but not much. The bushing that the impeller slides into also shows wear, but it's not worn out.
Without getting the impeller off, inspection is limited, but it looks OK.
I'm perplexed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks