Replacing vented drum trap question

Users who are viewing this thread

pete81

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the drum trap on our hall bath tub - see pic.

hall bath drum trap.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with the vent line. It currently goes up about 3' and then horizontally about 2' and ties into the main stack. The waste side of the drum trap runs over to the stool hub (I guess that's what you call it?), a distance of about 5 to 6 feet, which also has a separate vent that goes up through the roof. The stool hub also handles the waste line from the vanity. Since the stool hub is vented, do I even need to figure out a way to reconnect the tub vent? Given the logistics of the floor joist that's right there I'd rather just cap it and rely on the stool vent. Is this a good plan?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you do anything, the lead lines are going to have to be replaced, so the whole section will need to be re-piped. You should also consider that there is probably not enough room there to keep a P-trap above the bottom of the joist, and the tub's vent will have to be kept vertical to bring it up to current code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks