Optimizing setback and water temperature choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Lacy

Reaction score
I have an old low efficiency natural gas boiler, with baseboard fin-tube convectors, in a modestly-insulated small house. I'm seeking advice about picking an efficient combination of temperature setback and boiler water temperature.

My current practice is to run the boiler with the lowest water temperature I can that will maintain the house temperature, even if I have to wait several hours for the house to heat up from thermostat setback . I adjust the aquastat by hand, keeping the boiler water at 145F in warmer weather, and going up to 160-170F on the coldest winter days, say when the temperature is below 15F. I also use a substantial setback of my thermostats at night or when I'm out of the house. So, if I want my bedroom zone to come up to 68 deg F from a nighttime setback to 58 deg F, I'll have the thermostat come on say 2.5 hr. before I want to get up. In general, I setback to about 58F at night and during the day when I'm at work.

Would I have lower or at least comparable gas consumption if I just forgot about the setbacks, and was therefore able to use lower temperature water during even during colder winter temperatures? Or, at least, might I be forgoing comfort without much savings? I realize there may well be quite a few "it depends" features to an answer, or "try this and see ...," either of which is ok with me.

Regards, Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks