Rheem Performance 30 gal. Short 6 Year 4500/4500-Watt Elements Electric Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

wynown

Reaction score
Hi, Installed and wired hot water heat when I flipped the breaker it blew, After disconnecting the wires from the heater I flipped the breaker on and it worked fine and the wires tested fine, I'm using a basic double poll 30 amp square D breaker I bought from home depot, Is there a certain type of breaker I should be using. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems likely that you either have a short to ground , or you have a wire to wire short circuit in the water heater. I would turn off the power and troubleshoot with an ohmmeter.

With the wires disconnected from the heater, I would measure the resistance of either heater wire to a metal pipe on the water heater or another good ground that is not part of the electrical system. Each should be something over 1 megOhm normally, and it would be something less than 10 Ohms to blow the breaker. The same applies to the terminals on the water heater.

A wire to-wire-short would be a bit harder to detect. I would expect the resistance between the disconnected hot wires of the water heater to be more than 40 ohms for each isolated element, and more than 20 ohms if there are two elements.

Assuming you track the problem to the water heater, with ohmmeter readings in hand, I would try phoning the manufacturer or seller.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's simple he dry fired the upper element by not totally filling with water first, hince a direct short

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
An inexpensive multimeter (under $10, often free with any purchase at one tool chain) is a good investment for the home troubleshooter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; An inexpensive multimeter (under $10, often free with any purchase at one tool chain) is a good investment for the home troubleshooter.

And a good way to get electrocuted if you do NOT know how to use it, regardless of what it cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks