Putting in well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Nathanodmcgaha

Reaction score
Well by the house has 6 inch pipe. Depth to water is about 20 feet. Depth of water to where line stopped is about 54 feet. This is a 5 bed, 3 full bath house. What's the best system to install? Really needs to be a 115 - 120 volt system, since it will eventually be solar powered. Any suggestions?

Nathanodmcgaha

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't include area. SE Oklahoma, Pushmataha county. If that makes a difference. And not all showers and faucets will be running at the same time. Just me and my wife.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well by the house has 6 inch pipe. Depth to water is about 20 feet. Depth of water to where line stopped is about 54 feet. This is a 5 bed, 3 full bath house. What's the best system to install? Really needs to be a 115 - 120 volt system, since it will eventually be solar powered. Any suggestions?
Install a grundfos sq flex. Solar and ac ready.

You won't like the price but if you spend the money now you'll save yourself a lot of trouble down the road.

Nathanodmcgaha

Reaction score
Install a grundfos sq flex. Solar and ac ready.

You won't like the price but if you spend the money now you'll save yourself a lot of trouble down the road.

Thanks Texas Wellman, will check that out. From what I described, is that a fairly good well for this area?

Reach4

Reaction score
That Grundfos flex pump can even run on unregulated DC from solar cells. Cool stuff.

For less money, and if you will have 120 AC even after you go solar, you might look for a 4 inch 1/2 HP 15 GPM pump or similar. I would use a large pressure tank with around 50 or more gallons of capacity to give you at least a 15 gallon draw down. You want it efficient when the water level is 20 feet down, but you still want it to work if the water is 40 ft down.

3-wire will be a little more efficient. You would need a control box, that may or may not be provided with your pump as a kit. The peak power used during starting will be significantly less than for a 2-wire pump.

Sta-rite S15P4HS05131 would be an example.

If you will have an inverter when you put in your solar system, it may well have 240 VAC available. Running the pump on 240 would be slightly more efficient because it heats the power wires just a little less. It also might widen the list of available pumps.

You would use a little less electricity if your pressure switch was set up for 30-50 PSI than 40-60 PSI.

A 1/2 HP 12 GPM pump would be not too bad, but would not be as efficient as a 1/2 HP 15 GPM pump. A 1/2 HP 25 GPM pump would probably not have enough pressure to raise the water and pressurize your pipes efficiently. You want to stay in the efficient part of the pump curve.

I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks