Recent content by watersoftenerrookie

1. watersoftenerrookie

Iron Out or The Works? Best product for getting rid of iron stains

I moved into a house that had high iron. It took us a while to get the water softener situation fixed up. We have iron stains on our toilets, sinks and in the washing machine basin. One plumber told us to use Iron Out but cautioned about using it with our color toilets (they are pink, blue...
  2. watersoftenerrookie

What the heck? Dead softener comes back to life

Im not 100% positive but I feel like somehow the loud, shaking clattering of the AIO regeneration May have freed up a salt clog in the Kinetico. That would explain why it wasn’t taking salt or working before but it is working now. Or maybe the salt clog just released on its own eventually. At...
  3. watersoftenerrookie

That was my guess. So why is it working now? Was it not working Bc the AIO regeneration was messing up something? I don’t see they could be related. more than that should I shell out for a new softener if it’s working now or just rebed the AIO and wait for the Kinetico to eventually bite the...
  4. watersoftenerrookie

the AIO was regenerating every night because I’m a night owl and saw it. I don’t know when the Kinetico was supposed to Regen. It’s not on a timer per se. it has a disc in the control valve and I have no clue when it was supposed to regen. It wasn’t working at all though. No salt used. Now that...
  5. watersoftenerrookie

While I was waiting for a local shop to come and rebed my AIO and replace my 29 year old Kinetico (see thread https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-softener-and-aio-problems-choose-a-b-c-or-none-of-the-above.85185/ ) my AIO was making a horrible screeching noise every night during...
  6. watersoftenerrookie

Water softener and AIO problems - choose A B C or none of the above?

That's reassuring. It was not funny when one of these vendors said I needed a more up to date well. Do these folks have any ethics?
  7. watersoftenerrookie

They ran the water for an hour and collected it. It says they ran it for 50 minutes and ran 300 gallons. I know nothing more than that.
  8. watersoftenerrookie

I've attached what the state well report says. The 6 gpm came from the well inspection prior to the home sale in which a well company came in and ran the water for 50 minutes and ran 300 gallons. At least that's what the report says.
  9. watersoftenerrookie

No, they're competing solutions. Two vendors are quoting ways to revive my AIO: 1) One vendor says to use centaur carbon, manganese greensand and KDF with crushed garnet at the bottom with basket style distributors to ensure that the KDF doesnt get clumped and gets properly backwashed even at...
  10. watersoftenerrookie

Vendor B says Vesta is the top of the line Clack product. It does have a Vortech tank.
  11. watersoftenerrookie

what is the benefit of having the KDF be the first media touched as opposed to the last? As for KL my well pump is capable of 20 gpm but when the well inspection was done it said 6 gpm. This seems like it could be a concern with the KL since it would require a higher backwash rate. I’m a...
  12. watersoftenerrookie

I've noticed that, yes. There is not much info about Vesta. Is this considered to be a good system/brand?
  13. watersoftenerrookie

Doesn't the increased flow rate mean I would burn through way more water, though? It seems like the only negative to the Katalox Light is the black powder. It seems like KDF could work but I've yet to come across anyone happy with using it in a mixture like Vendor B suggested.
  14. watersoftenerrookie

What about the complaints that the Katalox Light produces a black sediment when the sulfur is oxidized? Some people say the sediment eventually goes away?
  15. watersoftenerrookie

I forgot that a private lab did tests for total coliform and ecoli prior to the home sale. Those were 0. Total dissolved solids were 360 ppm, 276 of 360 were calcium, magnesium bicarbonate and iron.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks