Recent content by ThirdGenPump

1. ThirdGenPump

Replacing well pump, should I replace the wiring?

I've pulled up pumps that finally failed after the copper itself was worn all the way through breaking contact. So yes installs with exposed copper can still run. Water isn't as conductive as people think. Testing the wires with a high powered ohm meter will often pick of leakage a conventional...
  2. ThirdGenPump

Need advice on 640ft water well set up

It depends on how you want to use it I'd be looking at a 5GS15 or a 7GS15 a 7GS15 will be a little cheaper and it provides a better flow rate for household usage. It caps about at about 550ft to make a cut out pressure of 60psi. The 5gs15 can pump a little deeper. If your intent is to fill the...
  3. ThirdGenPump

Checking sanity • well pump replacement

A 7HS05422 is a plastic cast Goulds pump. 7-7gpm, HS-plastic casts with stainless sleeve, 05-1/2hp, 422-230v single phase 2 wire motor. A 7GS05422 would be the stainless cast pump of the same volume and hp
  4. ThirdGenPump

Need advice on 640ft water well set up

I'd be a bit hesitant to DIY with that depth and that static. It can be done but you are going to be holding back an awful lot of weight. I'd prefer that set up be on PVC over poly. I'd be looking to set the pump at 550-600ft then you could operate the household off the wells reserve rather than...
  5. ThirdGenPump

Checking sanity • well pump replacement

To be clear you are looking at the control box not the pump. The pump is down in the well. There is a white and black wire coming from the pressure switch to the control box. Then a black, red and yellow going to the pump. The yellow may be white or appear white due to age. There are two types...
  6. ThirdGenPump

Submersible pump quality?

If you want to mess with it yourself the Grundfos is really easy to pull apart and clean if you have issues with pumps getting plugged up. I don't find AY McDonald's pumps to be anything special. I like AY McDonald's brass products and am happy to have a local distributor but I've never had...
  7. ThirdGenPump

Am I drinking surface water?

A majority of the planet gets their water from surface supplies. Reservoirs and high yielding shallow wells make up the supply for most cities. What matters is the test results. If it meets potability standards it's safe to drink. Surface water aquifers are more subject to change than deeper...
  8. ThirdGenPump

Cycle Stop Valve voided my well pump warranty???

I've never had an issue warrantying a Goulds pump. I send them back to the distributor and they give me a new pump, if it's within date code they don't even ask me questions. If it's outside of date code they want a copy of the invoice it was installed on.(so they know it was installed within...
  9. ThirdGenPump

How do they know GPM?

I put steel couplings a nipples on mine so I don't wear out the aluminum pipes wrenching on them all the time. The hydrofracker I work with has gone to double gasket-ed threaded connectors. He has two beautifully set up rigs that solely do fracking as a single contained unit. With the current...
  10. ThirdGenPump

How do they know GPM?

Down hole for temp set ups, just faster and lighter. One of the local hydrofrackers turned me onto it, before we always used steal.
  11. ThirdGenPump

How do they know GPM?

Depends on the specifics of what you got. In my area we are primarily drilling bedrock wells with rotary drill rigs. As we are drilling we are using air to lift the water and debris out of the hole. At any point we can measure how much water is being blown out. This is called 'Air lift' on a...
  12. ThirdGenPump

New Well drilled, advice for set up?

That's a tough one to go into without a pump test. Generically I'd be looking at a 10gpm 1.5hp and that's dependent on it producing more than 10gpm at 400ft which it may or may not due. With a 300ft static level you never want to pull that by hand, the sleeve just makes it all that much harder...
  13. ThirdGenPump

Well pump starts but won't run

If the switch is opening during this you have an issue with the tank accepting flow. If the switch stays closed you have a motor issue, it's not switching over to the running coil or it's triggering a thermal overload.
  14. ThirdGenPump

Artesian flowing well issues

That could be a concern after 20 or 30 years. ON smaller pumps upthrust is of minimal concern. The motors usually fail before the bearings wear out on the wet ends. If you are using a plastic cast pump it's of greater concern but you'll be replacing that in 8 or 9 years regardless.
  15. ThirdGenPump

Artesian flowing well issues

Yes the well produces less flow in the upper levels. In my area the general rule of thumb is you get 100% of the yield at 50% depth. Mapping a well to know exactly what it produces at any given depth is an expensive time consuming process, this is typically too cost prohibitive to bother with...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks