Recent content by SuperGreg

1. SuperGreg

Fleck 7000 rebuild questions

Just finished this, took about 30 minutes. Couldn't have been easier. I have long fingers so maybe that helped out. Looks like the piston was shot, the outer coating was scraped off in several places. All good now, no leaks! Thanks for your input everybody.
  2. SuperGreg

Thanks, ordered a rebuild kit and will tackle when it gets here. Doesn't look too hard from watching a youtube video, but we'll see. :)
  3. SuperGreg

It does not draw from a solution tank, the attachment on top is capped off. It's just simply a backflushing filter. I thought about opening and checking the condition, but then I'd have to go to all the trouble to disassemble the unit twice, in which case I'd probably just order the parts :)...
  4. SuperGreg

Hi everybody, I've got a Cascadian ultrafilter that uses a Fleck 7000 XTR head. I just noticed that it's leaking water to the drain constantly, so I assume it's time to rebuild the valve. It's probably only around 6 years old now, but I'm not surprised given the condition of our water. As I...
  5. SuperGreg

Calcite backwashing during regeneration.

I recently installed an entire system to replace the old pile of junk that was there when we moved in, and it sounds like it's similar to yours minus the arsenic filtration - although I have to filter out fine silt. I just refilled the calcite filter the other day to around 2/3 full and to my...
  6. SuperGreg

How do I adjust pump run time?

But this really depends on how often you are using water for a long period of time. Even taking a shower, my pump cycles once, maybe twice (I have had a valve shut off accidentally before and have taken a shower with only the water in the pressure tank alone - yes the pressure got a bit low but...
  7. SuperGreg

Ditching chlorination, have some questions

When I got my water test, they said iron bacteria was "present". If I don't chlorinate, what is the worst outcome? Will my filters become clogged with iron bacteria? Is there something I can check to see if it's beginning to become a problem?
  8. SuperGreg

I would expect extra sediment from the oxidation, but why is there less overall stuff in the water instead? Seems like most of the silt is gone while chlorinating. When I stop chlorinating I start to see silt build up in the spin-down filter and blowing it out of the bottom of the contact tank...
  9. SuperGreg

Hey all, so last year I completely rebuilt my entire filtration system. Due to the presence of iron bacteria, clean water store recommended chlorine injection, which would also help oxidize the iron present. Despite the fact that I'm told on this forum that only mechanical filtration is needed...
  10. SuperGreg

What's in my well water ? Help! *UPDATE*

I have very fine silt and it will easily go through a 5 micron filter. I had a Harmsco HIF 7 with 5 micron filters then a big blue with a 1 micron filter and it still took an ultra filter after that to keep silt from accumulating everywhere.
  11. SuperGreg

Backwashing Filter after Chlorinator?

The chlorinator can go directly after the pressure tank, followed by a contact tank then the rest of the system. This is usually recommended to avoid damaging the rubber membrane of the pressure tank, but in my case I have the metering pump injecting before the pressure tank because it simply...
  12. SuperGreg

Green hair. Well Water turning Wife's Hair Green

I had 6.5 pH well water as well, and had lots of blue staining in the shower. I installed a back washing calcite neutralizer and have had no issues with staining any more. Now I need to add a softener though.
  13. SuperGreg

Reddish Substance in Well Water - Help Identify

Looks like what I saw inside all of my old pipes/filters that I tore out recently when I rebuilt my system. I was assuming mine was iron bacteria, although it could have been silt/clay.
  14. SuperGreg

Where to get NSF chlorine bleach?

Hey all, I have recently added a chlorinator to my well filtration system, and have been using 10% pool chlorine from Wallmart. I have seen reference to the availability of NSF rated chlorine ("standard 60"?) but I don't know where to find this. I tried a pool supply store and they hadn't...
  15. SuperGreg

Acid Neutralizer or Filter Only

(I am not an expert) - I would be worried about all the other stuff that can corrode, especially inside washing machine, dish washer, etc. I have quite a bit of sediment in my well water, and almost all of it is filtered out after my neutralizer (a downflow bash flushing neutralizer will remove...