Recent content by Steve Lanham

1. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

UPDATE>> having a new 125k gas atmospheric boiler and a 40gal. indirect installed this week...religned my chimney and removed the old oil boiler with asbestos...I want to thank all of you for your input...I was surprised how much time you guy's spent trying to help...It must be a labor of love...
  2. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

No large tub other then the clothes washer...everyone generally showers...I just feel like I should stay with the man. spec...also if the installer recommends this then thats the only way to get the warranty...I'm still waiting for some quotes so we'll see how it all ends soon enough...Thanks !!
  3. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

Well here's what it is ...had the manual J done..the napkin math and the J were identical...46k would keep the house warm no mater what...i mentioned that I was also putting in a 50 gal indirect in previous post..the spec. on the indirect states that a TriangleTube Smart 50 should have a boiler...
  4. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

Dana.. I just set an appointment with someone to do a manual J for tomorrow . Now your saying its a waste of money. I was thinking everyone recommended a manual J. Well, this contractor is supposed to be a expert in steam and water systems. I'll question him tomorrow and see if he thinks its...
  5. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

I have to find out what happens when Columbia tells me I need a 150k based on my cast rad size and I insist on a 50k boiler. I wonder if they will honor the limited life time warranty that comes with the boiler. I also wonder why boiler installers don't have to pass some sort of proper sizing...
  6. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

Hey gentleman....I was wondering why someone would want their boiler to run for longer periods of time. I'm not sure what my water volumn is but lets say its 100 gal..If a 150k boiler can heat the 100gal. say in 15 minutes but a 50k boiler would take 45 minutes how much energy would I save. If...
  7. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

Wow..my mind is easily swayed...I,m going to get the installer to read this thread and question him about sizing...I think I mentioned ...he has a great work history and was recommended by Columbia boiler...I called Columbia to ask some questions and they suggested to listen to my...
  8. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

I'm grateful for everyones input...can anyone explain why Columbia boiler is telling me a 150k is the proper fit for my radiator size. Maybe I had too many rad. in my house from the beginning. House built in 1932, maybe thats the issue. Does 628 sq ft. for a 1800 sq foot house sound like over...
  9. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

Hey Tom Sawyer...Really!!..I did'nt want to re-size my entire plumbing to my radiation system for a mod cond. as you suggested...Nukeman...With your 80k electric, your getting instant heat from the coils. No need to heat numerous gallons of water on a cold start. Dana, thanks very much for your...
  10. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

...... Thanks everyone...just had a stainless liner installed. Decided on a Columbia MCB 125. I had a big cast oil boiler that was 180k in. Kept my house comfortable for 30plus years. Had 3 bids all suggested MCB 150. Called Columbia and they said 150k based on cast radiators of 682 sq. feet...
  11. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

Thanks Tom but I am changing over to gas. I hope someone has a few suggestions. I'm going to contact some local HVAC Co. and see what they come up with. I work with some competent plumbers but I think I should go with a HVAC shop to do the install for warranty reasons and it would be easier to...
  12. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

Hey Badgerboiler...What you said about qualified service techs...Rare... and some of the issues I've read about on the net with customers not happy with the install and having trouble finding someone who can fix their problem is making me second guess the high eff. mod con...Buy a lemon of a car...
  13. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

After further investigation....I am now considering the Alpine 80. Still looking at indirects...Would like one with a stainless steel tank..60 gal. i'm guessing. It's a two family house but the kids are gone which leaves four adults who generally don't abuse the HW. ... The Alpine 80 modulates...
  14. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

In reference to my K factor...On Dec 5th 2012 we had 47 gal. of oil delivered which topped off the tank. On Jan 12th 2013 we had 131 gal of fuel delivered to top it off. The oil Co. told me our K factor was 7.01. Does this sound right ? I kind of feel like I,m leaving the work to others. But if...
  15. Steve Lanham

Boiler help

My radiators are 682 sq. ft. I measured the sections and tubes as instructed.12ea. radiators...At this point I,m willing to spend the extra cash for a mod con with a 60 gal. indirect single zone. Reading different articles and it seems lots of people have different ideas about the best boilers...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks