Recent content by ruthrj18

1. ruthrj18

Upper thermostat failed twice in 48 hours?

It lives again! I’ll check back in if it dies. Thank you all for double checking my troubleshooting!
  2. ruthrj18

Why would you need a new multimeter? Forgetting to switch between ohms and volts? I’ve never broken one on a live circuit, whoop whoop! Again, avid DIY’er. Read quite a few sources on how to troubleshoot with power on vs off, so ended up doing it both ways to get as much data as possible. Going...
  3. ruthrj18

It’s a stretch but maybe it was a power surge? We’ve had some thunderstorms rolling through over the last couple days. I just can’t think of an obvious point in time where a close lightning strike would’ve subsequently killed the thermostat. Maybe first one failed natural causes, second one...
  4. ruthrj18

Good idea brother! I’ll do that tomorrow if I don’t get around to getting another thermostat. This may just all be my rotten luck getting a faulty new part. It’s happened to me before on other projects, certainly won’t be the last time!
  5. ruthrj18

Thankfully the power was off for all resistance measurements. Sorry for any confusion! I went as far as actually disconnecting the wires from the terminals on each element after checking the thermostats to ensure I was getting the correct reading on those too. Only time I had the power on was...
  6. ruthrj18

I might just have to suck it up and install another new one. I have no idea why the new thermostat failed already, maybe it was a bad one. Everything else looks fine! :confused:
  7. ruthrj18

Might help if I throw the units in there, lol. Yes, zero ohms Reach. I went out again to measure things with the power on. I’m getting 240 volts from the breaker supplying the upper thermostat. Upper thermostat set at highest setting, lower thermostat set at lowest setting. I’m getting zero...
  8. ruthrj18

Pic of upper thermostat. The replacement looks 100% identical to what it replaced. Bought it at Home Depot.
  9. ruthrj18

Hello all, Avid DIY’er, currently stumped. Went to take a shower Sunday night and the water was lukewarm. Circuit breaker wasn’t tripped, power is on to my water heater but it wasn’t heating. Broke out the multimeter to test everything with the power to the water heater off. ECO not tripped...
  10. ruthrj18

Rheem vs AO Smith Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater HPWH

Late to the party, but I'm the dude who had the Rheem HPWH with the compressor that went kaboom. I haven't had a noticeable difference in my electric bill since I went from the defective Rheem HPWH to a standard Rheem electric 50 gallon heater. And that's with the new conventional model set to...
  11. ruthrj18

Rheem 80 Gallon Hybrid - not going over 125

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-hpwh-reliability-still-an-issue.67171/page-1 I'd return it as well. Had the 50 gallon unit (Professional Prestige) and it failed spectacularly on me at less than a year old. I was fortunate enough to have bought it from a reputable supply house...
  12. ruthrj18

Is HPWH reliability still an issue?

"I don't understand how the technology isn't ready for prime time. I mean, refrigerators last for decades without exploding." That's nearly word for word what I was thinking when I bought that thing, minus the explosion part lol! I figured heat pumps have been around a long time. Why can't they...
  13. ruthrj18

Not to mention I figured out first hand that these things are disposable. When RHEEM diagonosed the issue as a failed compressor, it was deemed completely done for. No repairs can be made, it's done, DEAD. Return and replace. Goes to show you, if the government is offering tax rebates as an...
  14. ruthrj18

Got the water heater replaced with a standard electric (Professional Classic 50 gal). Local supply house had excellent customer service. RHEEM was going to take another day or two to figure out how to handle the administrative issues of replacing a $1k heater with one that cost less than $400...
  15. ruthrj18

Rheem Home Depot quality same as plumbing supply house?

I was wrong about this heater, had to follow up on it. Compressor failed, blew up electrically and set some leaking oil on fire. Was an awesome experience to handle. See thread on heat pump reliability so I'm not double posting...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks