Recent content by metalgodz

1. metalgodz

Katalox Light in the presence of IRB or SRB

Yes - Only/mainly in the hot water. Looks like I'll sanitize using that procedure plus pool pellets (well extends at least 30' past the pump) before doing the install of the new system, and sanitize the new parts as well. The filter setup I'm looking at will sanitize itself with bleach every...
  2. metalgodz

Katalox Light in the presence of IRB or SRB

I came across that comment in the research I was doing - Both that link, and in the manual in the greensand/birm setup I've got currently. I didn't think much of it at the time because the hydrogen sulfide smell was so minimal, but I'm reconsidering after the bad results and failed filter. The...
  3. metalgodz

pH, softener, iron question

Total coliform for both tests ('08, '10) was zero / "absent". The well was about 10-11 years old at that point. A couple of days of heavy rain will produce a noticeable change in staining over the next few weeks, but I can't tell you how soon afterward the pH changes - I just took measurements...
  4. metalgodz

Could it be a problem with it not being sealed further down? The casing used to extend a full foot out, but has gotten to more like 6-8" on one side as some driveway settling has occurred. Thanks for the recommendation; I'll take a look for them. I've got an aquarium kit and a pool kit around...
  5. metalgodz

Still need to pick up some more strips, but the pH has been in low 6 range before, and staining coincides with the low pH periods. Low pH and staining have always occurred follwing a lot of rain, and/or in the spring. According to the original owner and builder, well is 80' of casing and an...
  6. metalgodz

I'll piggy-back onto this, as I'm in the same location, and kind of the same situation, water-wise. If a mod wants to move to its own thread or would like me to do so, no problem here. Bad manganese and iron staining, failed greensand setup. Two tests I have formal records for: Test; 2008...