Recent content by MarkW

1. MarkW

Pump keeps running but only makes 10 PSI. Turn off and back on and it works fine. Ideas?

I just cooked up another possible theory of what is going on: Maybe the pump's filter screen is getting clogged? That would reduce the pressure it puts out (and the volume). When we turn off the circuit breaker, whatever is blocking the screen has a chance to fall away and the pump then...
  2. MarkW

Pump keeps running but only makes 10 PSI. Turn off and back on and it works fine. Ideas?

I didn't measure, but the casing above grade was steel and looked like it was 5". He's very "price sensitive", and I think he'll probably go with a "conventional" 2-wire 120V pump (approx $325). An SQ unit would actually be nice because it is a rural area and electric power sometimes goes out...
  3. MarkW

Reach4, Valveman: Thanks. Those are two easy things for me to check when I go back. I suspect the problem is likely in the pump itself, I'm just having trouble figuring out why a simple impeller pump would start working again just from cycling the breaker off and back on 2 seconds later...
  4. MarkW

Thanks, Valveman. I fixed my first post to make clear that this is a submerged pump. Apologies for the confusion.
  5. MarkW

Reach4, Thanks for the information. This is a submerged pump, not a jet pump. My wording in the first post wasn't clear, I went back and edited it to clear that up.
  6. MarkW

[Note: post below was edited 1 Nov to make clear that this is a submerged well pump] Greetings. My friend has a 120VAC 1/2 HP submerged deep well pump (age unknown). Normal cut-on is 35 PSI, off at 55 PSI. It had been working well, but now, occasionally, he has very low water pressure (10...
  7. MarkW

New electric water heater (with tank) is tripping the circuit breaker--sometimes

I was measuring across the terminals, wires still connected to the element. Thanks. I looked at it again today and yes, only one leg is switched. Which works fine, unless an element has shorted to ground. In which case, some part of the element will be turned on (though just using 120V) all...
  8. MarkW

New electric water heater (with tank) is tripping the circuit breaker--sometimes

Greetings. I installed a new AO Smith 50 gal water heater at my friend's house. All went ell for the first day, then he called to tell me that his circuit breaker for the water heater (at the main panel) had tripped. It is a two-element 240V water heater, 4500W elements and the circuit...
  9. MarkW

Pipe from well to pressure tank too small/restrictive?

Cary, Thanks for the reply. In this situation, it would probably be best/easiest for me to put the CSV near the pressure tank and just add a new line from after the CSV back to the frostproof hose bib in the garage. As you say--it is very counterintuitive. That well pump at a depth of 200...
  10. MarkW

Bannerman, When I moved the pressure tank I also moved the main line that feeds my fixtures (and the water meter owned by the county that tracks my water use from my well, so they can bill me for the sewer use). So, the 3/4" PEX line runs from the old pressure tank location (near where the...
  11. MarkW

Cary, thanks for the input. I'm not sure what killed my old pump, but I suspect it was impact/rubbing with the well casing that pierced the lower pump body and let water in. Of course, that twisting/banging happens mostly on startup, so you may well be right about the ultimate cause. I'll...
  12. MarkW

Reach4, Thanks for that. I'm leaning toward leaving the setup as-is for now. When my pressure tank crumps out (it looks to be about 20-30 year old) I'll go to a bigger tank and maybe upgrade the pipe at that time from 3/4" PEX to 1", and also get rid of the tight 1" elbow in favor of a less...
  13. MarkW

I have a well with submersible pump (1/2 HP, about 60 feet of lift). The pipe from the well enters my garage, where my well tank is. The pipe at the pump is 1 1/4", and it is 1" PE pipe from the pitless adapter to the tank. A few years ago I moved the tank to another corner of the garage...
  14. MarkW

Delta Series 17 valves--does temperature lever move with the volume lever?

I'm a DIYer and looking to replace a tub/shower valve. The Delta 1700 looks like what I want (my bride wants separate temp and volume controls, and doesn't like the Moen "MoenTrol" push-pull way of turning on the water). I haven't been able to find a showroom display of a Delta Series 17...
  15. MarkW

Does anyone make an "in-line" tub-only valve body anymore?

Nice solution Jim, That looks very nice--I saw something like it in a hotel in Germany. It would be perfect if it came in 8" spacing (and if it cost $15 !), but even with 7" spacing I wouldn't have to dig out many tiles. Thanks. Who makes it, and how much did it cost? Mark
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks