Recent content by Mark In Florida

1. Mark In Florida

Question about filling around the vertical pipe for a shower drain in a concrete pad.

I moved the vertical drain for my shower about 5 inches, and I've seen two ways to fill in the hole. In one method, a 4 or 5 inch pipe is fitted around the vertical pipe, and cement is poured around that pipe, leaving the 2 inch pipe not covered in concrete. The other method is to just cover...
  2. Mark In Florida

Is it common, or code, to put a p trap downstream from a shower, on a concrete pad?

Thanks. On a hunch I looked to see if Florida plumbing code addresses this, and they do. It says a p trap can be installed up to 30 incehs,, I think, from the drain. Since I'm only moving my drain about 6 inches, and since it has always worked perfectly, I'm sure I'll be fine.
  3. Mark In Florida

Is it common, or code, to put a p trap downstream from a shower, on a concrete pad?

Thanks for your response. I held one of those lighters my wife uses for candles down the opening, and it didn't seem to flicker. Do you happen to know if Florida code allows, or is it normal. to put the trap downstream? I'm still getting zero smell, not even a whiff, with the temporary cap taken...
  4. Mark In Florida

I removed an old fiberglass shower pan, and under it there was no p trap. It's a Florida slab home, and I need to move the drain about 6 inches. There is zero smell, zero water movement problems, so I have been assuming that there must be a p trap somewhere? This was an add on bathroom, by the...
  5. Mark In Florida

How long can the drain line run to a ptrap

I was going to ask a similar question. I'm removing an old plastic shower pan, on a slab, and moving the drain about 6 inches. I noticed no p trap below the old drain. I'm assuming, based on what you've said about buried p traps in slabs, that it must be under the slab, and I just can't see it...