Recent content by grover

1. grover

Submersible pump and flow sleeve in a cistern

Should be able to keep the lines lower in the tank and less prone to freezing with the pitless adaptor.
  2. grover

Plan is to enter the cistern through a theaded fitting on the side below the frost line. Then over to the area of the manhole cover. Then 90 up to the cover, 90 into a union fitting, then 90 down to the pump set vertically recommended by the pump manufacturer.
  3. grover

Concrete cistern will be filled with hauled water for now. No well. the top of the cistern is visible, the rest is underground. The fitting for the supply line is below the frost line. I don't know how close the fitting is in the side of the tank to the manhole cover. Normally in a well the...
  4. grover

I'm finding very little online with respect to using a pitless adaptor in a cistern or tank. My manhole may not be near the water line entrance so there would be nothing much to hold the supply line down when pulling the pump. Maybe a line running from the supply to the underside of the top...
  5. grover

I'm a little concerned about the plumbing inside the cistern now. The cistern is buried with the top at ground level. It gets near zero in our coldest part of the winter here. will my pipes freeze inside the cistern. Plan was to put a quick connect union near the manhole cover to be able to...
  6. grover

I like the idea of heating the pipe and putting dimples in for the centering.
  7. grover

I’m planning to use a 4 to 3 inch rubber boot from sleeve to pump and splitting it where the wires come through instead of making slits in the pipe. Undecided about how to center the pump at the bottom.
  8. grover

Thanks, I wasn't really expecting that much detail but good to know the numbers. So if my discharge pipe is 1 1/4 sch 40 (1.36ID) then that area would be about 1.45 sq in. That would mean if I use sch 40 or D2729 for the sleeve it should provide more flow that my discharge pipe can handle. 6...
  9. grover

I'm putting a submersible pump in my cistern and I need to design a flow sleeve for it. My pump is 1/2 hp 10gpm and it is 3.75 inches in diameter. Will a 4 inch PVC sched 40 pipe be enough diameter to get enough flow around it. Seems 1/8 inch on the sides is very little. Also the pump...
  10. grover

Sched 80 for underground line?

Are you talking about the black poly pipe that comes in a roll? Are the ends clamped with a stainless steel worm clamp like the old radiator hose clamps?
  11. grover

Sched 80 for underground line?

I thought I might use sched 80 1 inch pvc for my underground line from the cistern to the pressure tank. I just wanted the extra sturdiness over the sched 40. Is that too much or will that smaller interior diameter hurt my water pressure? Sorry for so many questions lately.
  12. grover

Low pressure switch

Sorry I didn't make that clear. Yes, just the cistern. Wells are not very successful in this area and it's just a part time place for now.
  13. grover

Low pressure switch

What do you mean when you say it will not protect the pump. I thought if the cistern ran dry and the pressure dropped it would shut everything down. If that's not what it does, what is its' purpose?
  14. grover

Low pressure switch

I have a new cistern I'm trying to get set up. I have a submersible pump that's going to be on its side in the cistern. I didn't know until I started searching a little but Square D offers a 40/60 switch with a low pressure cut-off option. I don't have any other run dry protection. Is this...
  15. grover

Pressure tank plumbing

Yes, submersible pump. I thought it would be better to have the water filtered before going through the tank area and all the fittings there. I'll put it inline after the pressure switch. Moving the tee assembly up will put the pressure switch 3-4 ft from the pressure tank. I'll use copper...