Recent content by franck

1. franck

Piping type for recirc lines

How quickly might one expect errosion to penetrate the wall of copper tubing? In my proposed re-circulating system I'll be using Type L, 3/4" return line in a gravity flow system.
  2. franck

Pex and the O2 barrier

I did not realize that oxygen could actually "pass through" the walls of the PEX. Is this barrier physical or chemical in nature? Is there a chemical addative that may be added to a closed loop system to condition the water, one that might further reduce corrosion to all the metal components...
  3. franck

Pex and the O2 barrier

I've read in a few treads that when installing a hydronic heat system that you should use PEX pipe that is rated as having an O2 barrier. Could someone explain the reason why the O2 barrier is important and what bad things could happen if the incorrect material is used? Please bear in mind...
  4. franck

Arc fault circuit breakers

Since we are on the topic of Arc-fault breakers, how many outlets can you put on one Arc-fault breaker? Compared to a standard breaker they are kind of expensive and I'd like to put two bedrooms on one breaker.
  5. franck

Which Elec HW Heater?

I just contacted my energy providers and here is what my calculated cost per therm will run me. Electricity, Summer rate $2.97 per therm Elcetricity, Winter rate $1.98 per therm Propane $2.80 per therm (adjusted for 80% efficency) My electric cooperative also has a...
  6. franck

Ideas for saving energy

Today was the final day of the Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities Home Builders Association Spring Home Tour. I made a point of looking at all the water heaters that I could. Bear in mind, all these heaters are located on the Iowa side of the Quad Cities and fall under Iowa plumbing codes. (which I know...
  7. franck

Ideas for saving energy

See, I learned something new. I didn't know such a thing as a dielectric nipple even existed. But then two weeks ago I didn't know about dielectric unions either........ Once the nipple is connected to the copper, can you tell from it's exterior that it is a dielectric nipple? Not all...
  8. franck

Ideas for saving energy

Ron, (a.k.a. Sewer Ratz) I'm located near the Quad Cities, about 30 minutes from Moline. Thanks. As a side note, we have been touring homes these past two weekends as the Quad Cities Home Builders Association hosts their Spring tour of homes. I'm not seeing a lot of innovation when...
  9. franck

Ideas for saving energy

Yes, I assumed that from the start, but the price of propane has gone up so rapidly here and I don't see that situation improving any time soon. That's why I'm here, throwing all these ideas around and weighing my options. After 30 years of lugging wood around I'm ready to search out...
  10. franck

Stock up on guns and ammo before it's too late.

Beware their back door approach I recieved a letter from Illinois State Senator Dan Rutherford. In it he explained that anti-gun Chicago Democrats are leading legislative efforts that would require gun owners to carry $1 million liability insurance, to imprint an ID on ammunition and to...
  11. franck

Ideas for saving energy

OK, You've talked me away from the attic heat recovery theory. I can see the problems of potential leaks, condensation and the meager returns for the effort invested. I will investigate further the benefits of passive and active solar heating. This leads me to another question, radiant heat. I...
  12. franck

Ideas for saving energy

Hummm, how about pumping all that heat into an indoor pool, then drawing off that? Seriously though, it's an interesting concept. Are you thinking of a focused parabolic mirror to heat the water? How big of a collector are we talking about?
  13. franck

Ideas for saving energy

I do understand the drawbacks of operating an outdoor wood boiler. We have used a home built airtight wood stove exclusively for the past 30 years to heat our home. There is a like new, 30 year old Heil gas fired furnace sitting in the basemant of the old house. We turned the pilot light off 29...
  14. franck

Ideas for saving energy

I did some looking around and found another tread that speaks to some of my ideas. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26627 If I did use a re-circulating pump, what make and model might I be looking for?
  15. franck

Ideas for saving energy

I recently purchased a Marathon water heater for my new home, which is currently under construction here in northwestern Illinois. When making my decision on purchasing a water heater I considered several factors, none the least of was the fact that my power company offered me a $125.00 rebate...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks