Recent content by Eric Wesson

1. Eric Wesson

Help selecting filtration system

I am on a well here in Idaho. We get some hydrogen sulfide in the water, and of course rust in the water. Hardness is 8-12 gpg. I only put in a 5 micron cartridge filter, followed by a softener and then a 1.5 cubic foot carbon filter tank. One micron filtration is probably overkill. I would...
  2. Eric Wesson

Would we benefit from a softener?

Any amount of hardness will leave lime scale on your fixtures. Your water heater also adds hardness - magnesium - to the water. So your hot tap is probably about 3-4 gpg. You can put in an aluminum anode rod which will eliminate this source. Or you can get an electrical anode; the downside to...
  3. Eric Wesson

Replace just resin tank? resin in plumbing

My impression is Kinetico is wildly overpriced for what you get. The claims of greater efficiency or whatever are nonsense. Water softening is an ancient technology; all you need is a good quality softener head - and you absolutely should replace that timed regeneration head with a good...
  4. Eric Wesson

Water softener + RO. Is remineralization possible?

Removing chlorine or chloramine is interesting, but is it overall cheaper and simpler to just top up the resin every few years, as the resin breaks down and is flushed down the drain?
  5. Eric Wesson

Should RO receive hard water or softened water?

I hook up the RO system to the hot water side in order to feed soft water. Don't worry that the RO membrane will receive hot water; it's a trickle, and by the time water gets through the big filter cans, it has cooled adequately. With soft water, RO membranes seem to last virtually forever.
  6. Eric Wesson

Help with PVC threaded to Brass without leaks.

It's a good questions. I too have struggled with threaded PVC joint leaks. I found that PTFE paste, along with a wrap of teflon tape, seems to work well. I believe the reason the joints are so problematic is because the threads are cast and not cut. If you have to do this again, consider...
  7. Eric Wesson

Subtle problem (solved)

Had a problem with partial softening. Input gpg 15, output 6. It wasn't an issue with the regeneration, as it remained the same after back-to-back regens. Broken bypass valve? Nope, seems fine. Worn elements inside the valve? Nope, all looks pretty much fine. However, I noticed an extra...
  8. Eric Wesson

More Craigslist Freebie Softener Fun

Yeah, thanks for the confirmation. That's exactly what I ran into. Conceivably there would be a way to gravity separate the two - there were very pretty layers of orange and black in the clear plastic tub I was draining into - but totally not worth it for used resin. I was wondering if there...
  9. Eric Wesson

More Craigslist Freebie Softener Fun

Last one was a Kenmore. I was pleasantly surprised; it seems to work fine, and we went ahead and installed it in our church's kitchen hot water supply. Fingers crossed, it should last a while there. This one is an EcoWater. I'm looking for a cheap but working softener to sell with the house...
  10. Eric Wesson

Water softener drain line tolerance

32 feet is 14.7 psi I believe the only problem with the line going up is it changes the gpm of the venturi that sucks brine out of the tank. If you put 5 psi back pressure on the drain line, and the supply pressure is 50 psi, you've effectively dropped the pressure across the venturi by 10%...
  11. Eric Wesson

Are Kenmore Softeners Any Good?

Nah, the plastic is too thin. I guess it's thicker than a trash can, but not by much.
  12. Eric Wesson

Well yeah, there's that. If all the things we've pointed out were fixed, it would be a good softener.
  13. Eric Wesson

Stumped on a Kenmore Water Softener

If you disconnect the tube that runs to the brine tank, you can test whether you can blow into it and suck water out. It should flow both ways. Have a glass of water on hand if you get a mouthful of brine. Also, there is a disc in the head that rotates orifices around to run the regen. The...
  14. Eric Wesson

lol thanks for thinking of me I think this is a somewhat improved design; the controls are separated, but there are still air passages between the salt tank and the chamber that houses the controls. No corrosion, yet. I think the softener is only a few years old; the casting for the outer shell...
  15. Eric Wesson

Thought I'd troll a little with the thread title. Follows is a partial answer to the question. I want to set up my church's kitchen with a softener. I browsed craigslist and found a Kenmore ... price is right, $0. I got the thing home and started inspecting it, and pleasantly surprised it looks...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks