HVAC register Fire Damper question

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckGM

Reaction score
Okay... I don't "need" a fire damper in this room, but I want one. (We're talking a private residence with a small rental space).
I understand there are two types ("static" and "dynamic") which is applicable on an 80,000 btu furnace system?

and - if I want to install it right at a 6 x 10 or 6 x 12 wall register, in a 2x4 wall (with a couple of extra inches behind the wall) - is that possible? How is it done? Can you point me to the damper/register that would work here?

Thanks!

ChuckGM

Reaction score
Fire dampers for stand-alone are dynamic set at 165* to close when going through a wall 1.5" angle iron mounts damper to wall. You would want a fire rated wall to mount them in.
https://www.grainger.com/product/2T...6KcgCoydh8QOS_YmEyRoCqDEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Okay - but that one, for example, is 16 x 16 and too deep for a 2x4 wall. If a fire damper penetrates the fore wall AT the fire wall, how do people install something like that? There's "nothing" that "combines" a register and fire damper? - or a standard process for (what must be?) a common need?

Fitter30

Reaction score
They make different sizes of dampers haven't seen one for like a floor register. They are installed in 1 or 2 hour fire rated walls. Standard 1/2" drywall is rated for 30 minutes . What are you trying to accomplish.

ChuckGM

Reaction score
They make different sizes of dampers haven't seen one for like a floor register. They are installed in 1 or 2 hour fire rated walls. Standard 1/2" drywall is rated for 30 minutes . What are you trying to accomplish.
I have a one hour wall. If the the 1 hour wall is penetrated, the damper is supposed to be at the point of penetration. I want to know how they accomplish that in a 2x4" wall - and I'm hoping someone can point me at where I can find an appropriate damper/register boot.