Subpanel next to main panel in house - grounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey all,
Thinking about putting in a subpanel right next to my main panel to feed some items for an indoor woodshop.
I cannot seem to figure out if I need to separate the neutral and ground in a subpanel that is located right next to the main panel in my house. If I do, can I just run it to where the main panel grounds (i.e. the water pipes a couple of feet away)? Thanks for the help. **would also be nice if y'all know the specific part of the NEC that applies.

Reach4

Reaction score
cannot seem to figure out if I need to separate the neutral and ground in a subpanel that is located right next to the main panel in my house.
You need to run a neutral and ground both to the main box. The subpanel will have ground and neutral separate. The main box will keep connected ground and neutral.

I think no further ground rod is needed if the main box is to code, but you may need to upgrade to code for grounds. I am not sure. I am not an electrician. I have no code cites for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So basically just ground the sub panel to the main panel and separate the neutral and ground in the subpanel? I just did a subpanel to my shed, but it was over 100' away, so I did two ground rods. Was really hoping I didn't need to do the same thing here.

Stuff

Reaction score
Correct. In same structure you don't ground the panel outside of the ground wire connecting panels.