How much PTFE tape should I use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
Actually I think part of the leaking problems I've had was because of the crap LD valves that have "out-of-spec" threads (right?)...
I've got one LD valve that has one socket so bad that... the fitting skips a few threads, just goes past them when inserting, so then it hits threads when there are only a few threads to go before it bottoms in... and the fitting is so loose all the way to the bottom... the other LD valve isnt much better... no wonder they kept leaking.
So finally I got a Mueller valve, screwed it in without even adding more tape, and no leaks at all!
I thought LD (Taiwan) was good but apparently they suck, the Mueller (China) is better.

Flapper

Reaction score
Also I got a 10 pack of tape from Harbor Freight; it costed $1.60 with 20% off and free item; this is a 10 pack of full-size rolls (or almost), compare that to Home Depot where you can get a full-size roll for $1.18.

Flapper

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, even 3 wraps is too much, (zero is ideal), and I wonder how you even get a thread with 20 wraps started into a fitting.
3 wraps too much?!
You probably use the thick tape.
I do 8 wraps with cheap tape.

wallbobby

Reaction score
Wow, this is crazy! I use 1-2 wraps and always feel like I shouldn't be using any except for brass.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Flapper

If you do your own plumbing and have leaks on threaded or soldered connections, maybe you shouldn't be doing plumbing work?

Hire a plumber who knows what he is doing and has no leaks.

BTW, Taiwan IS China. Your world geography needs work too.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just for fun!...

And Baja California IS America, right? Must be part of California? Most people from PRC do not consider Taiwan as part of "China" anymore... Different government = different country.

Taiwan is as INDEPENDENT as a dog on a leash.
Every natural disaster, typhoon, earthquake or other, they look for emergency funds from Mainland China.

And 2015 California? It's Northern Mexico.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
...just like Texas has nukes pointed at New York...

OK, we could bicker all day and not agree. Sort of like, how in reality, PVC is joined by a combination of solvent (welded) and filler (glue) ... ;)

However, when we say "China" (here in the USA, not to be confused with "America") we mean "The Peoples Republic of China", and refer to "Taiwan" (AKA "Republic of China") as "Taiwan". We usually refer to Hong Kong separately from "China", even though they are technically the same country now...

Flapper

Reaction score
Flapper

If you do your own plumbing and have leaks on threaded or soldered connections, maybe you shouldn't be doing plumbing work?

Hire a plumber who knows what he is doing and has no leaks.

BTW, Taiwan IS China. Your world geography needs work too.

a8wj50B.gif

This was my first and it was a while ago.
I did 17 solder connections with one leak, and 3 threaded connections with 3 leaks.
I've since learned a lot more.
You gotta start somewhere.
Plumbers start somewhere too, no?
Hiring a plumber would get you nowhere.
You'd have to hire one again the next time, and the next.
When you could've learned the first time(s) and do your own work for the rest of your life.
a8wj50B.gif