(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

John Pel

Weil-McLain GV5 Boiler - Series 1, Pressure Switch

Rate this Entry
Gas Fired - Gold design, hot water boiler stopped working as a result of Pressure Switch not actuating to enable current flow for flame ignition.
This unit is an older version - lacking the Condensate Tank!
Checked the two tubes to Gas/Air Manifold for leaks. (Able to actuate the Pressure Switch by blowing in the tubes.
Replaced the Pressure Switch with no success.
Checked for clear air intake and exhaust, and ensured clear holes in the blower assembly.
According to Weil-McLain technical support: If the Burner Cone is plugged with debris, that could cause a problem. Also, if there is a restriction in the vent, or the intake or the boiler block, it will also keep the pressure switch from closing.
Has anyone encountered this problem and the eventual fix? I can pull out the Blower Assembly to clear/replace Burner Cone or clean the inside of the Block as necessary but hesitate to tackle this big job.

In the meantime, I am bypassing the Pressure Switch with a jumper across the the two wires to keep the Hot Water tank supplied.

Submit "Weil-McLain GV5 Boiler - Series 1, Pressure Switch" to Digg Submit "Weil-McLain GV5 Boiler - Series 1, Pressure Switch" to del.icio.us Submit "Weil-McLain GV5 Boiler - Series 1, Pressure Switch" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weil-McLain GV5 Boiler - Series 1, Pressure Switch" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

have you used boiler pipes.The hole is 2.75 inches rather than the standard 3.5 inch of today.
    Quote Originally Posted by btwlzyq
    have you used boiler pipes.The hole is 2.75 inches rather than the standard 3.5 inch of today.
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, using 3.5" and have not had any difficulties for about 20 years.

Took apart the blower assembly and found the remains of 2 mice embedded in the burner cone on Friday.

Still concerned, I turned it on manually for a couple of days. On Sunday morning, upon starting, thump, thump, thump in the blower assembly. Another mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time it was still alive but worse for the wear and it crawled out of the flex pipe.

Looking to install a finer mesh filter ahead of the blower assembly.

John