(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

johnfrwhipple

Laticrete's new 5"x5" Tile Insert Shower Drain - a close up review with pictures.

Rate this Entry
Post(s) deleted by John Whipple

Submit "Laticrete's new 5"x5" Tile Insert Shower Drain - a close up review with pictures." to Digg Submit "Laticrete's new 5"x5" Tile Insert Shower Drain - a close up review with pictures." to del.icio.us Submit "Laticrete's new 5"x5" Tile Insert Shower Drain - a close up review with pictures." to StumbleUpon Submit "Laticrete's new 5"x5" Tile Insert Shower Drain - a close up review with pictures." to Google

Updated 03-18-2014 at 08:48 AM by johnfrwhipple

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When designing a barrier free shower flow rate is critical and is affected by many factors. Pipe size. Venting. Volume of water. Direction of water flow and on and on. I have privately tested many of these new shower drains in my lab. Or as my wife calls it "HER LAUNDRY ROOM". One constant thing I have measured in high flow rate settings is the build up of water above the strainer - this can be between 3/8" and 5/8" depending on strainer design and how the water enters my test boxes. If your design a barrier free shower do not set the drain any lower than 3/4" below finished floor height!

If you love the look of these new tile top drains make sure you realize that in your environment you may need to alter the look and add in the "Anti Air Lock" feature. As we install more I'll measure the flow rates and positions of the drains that don't work. As of today I know of four reported failures - three here in Vancouver and one in Chicago.

Above you can see a 5"x5" tile top under water. This effect seams to happen only when the drain is dry and right after the shower is turned on. This drain design from Laticrete is a new design and differs already from the print image in the instructions. The instructions show similar feet that the drain does not have. The drain above was a similar design to the picture on the Laticrete install instructions.

The little nubs or air bubble poppers might be the missing link the old tile top drain designs lacked.

Time will tell.

JW
    John Whipple
    By Any Design Ltd.
    http://www.No-Curb.com
    Updated 06-16-2012 at 08:12 AM by johnfrwhipple
    The shower above was fixed by the installation of the "Anti Air Lock" collar and threw hole. I have since improved the install to include 306 stainless steel and a cleaner look. The proto type install worked wonders and the drain is working perfectly right now.

All three of the installations failed in Vancouver with flow rates under 5GPM and one even with a flow rate of 2GPM.

JW
    By Any Design Ltd.
    http://www.No-Curb.com