(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

pipeninja

A few simple steps to get the most out of your septic system

Rate this Entry
Hey all you fellow DIY people! I thought that since my main occupation is excavating and plumbing, I could give you some pointers on maintaining a healthy septic system. Septic systems are very costly and there is nothing worse than not being able to take showers or do laundry. So listen up! These are a few simple steps you can do to save yourself money and headaches:

1.) Pump it!

You should be having your septic tank pumped every 2-3 years. The reason being is that solids will build up as time goes on. This can cause clogs and also allow solids to get into your leach field. Solids + leach fields = failed system. Pump your tank! and..

2.) Inspect your baffles

When you are having your tank pumped, check to make sure your baffles are in place! Baffles are simply just a little wall or pipe that will trap solids in the tank and allow the liquid to flow out. Solids will flow out of your tank if baffles have fallen off or are broken. Baffles will keep your leach field healthy. Leach fields are the most pricey part of a septic system.

3.) Don't dump ... in excess .

Dumping lots of antibiotics or bleach or other strong chemicals down your drains can harm your septic system. See, there are good bacteria in your septic tank that break down your solids. If you dump tons of these things down the toilet, it could kill off a lot of the bacteria and harm your system.

4.) Coffee grounds in the garbage!

This is actually not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. In my years of plumbing I have never had a clogged line due to coffee grounds. Maybe it caffeinates the bacteria in your septic tank and they get a buzz. Just better to dump them in the garbage

That's all. Pretty simple and doesn't take much time. I hope you all learned something. If you enjoyed this post, please take a second to check out the new Trenchless truck we designed on on website. Rochester Plumbing

Happy flushing!

Name:  Screen shot 2012-01-17 at 10.03.00 PM.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  48.9 KB

Submit "A few simple steps to get the most out of your septic system" to Digg Submit "A few simple steps to get the most out of your septic system" to del.icio.us Submit "A few simple steps to get the most out of your septic system" to StumbleUpon Submit "A few simple steps to get the most out of your septic system" to Google

Comments