Installing new Kohler Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

chas22

Reaction score
Im going to remodel my bathroom and install a new Kohler cast iron tub. Im wanting to use a brass drain with the lever pop up style. The question is, The tub drain assembly that kohler says to use is a 14-16 inch, 17Ga. for around $55.00 or I can go to Home Depot and get a Watts 12 to 15 inch, 20Ga. for around $45.00, but the 1 1/2 slip nuts are the only thing thats not brass, which one?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
17g is thicker than 20g. If the quality of the plating is the same, it may not make a lot of difference, but since you don't want to do it again, the slight difference isn't bad to get a heavier gauge unit.

Draino

Reaction score
New Kohler Tub...

Hey Chas22. I'm knew to the forum, but I remodel bathrooms for a living. Since it's only $10 bucks difference, makes sense to me to go with the drain recommended by the manufacturer of the tub. The plumbing for a tub installation is usually tricky to access with out cutting into a wall or ceiling in another room, so the last thing one would want is to have trouble with the drain and have to tear into it again later.

Also (and maybe you've already considered this) but a cast iron tub can weigh in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. You'll need several friends to help hoist it into position. Also before you buy, make sure you can manuver it through existing doorways. Best of luck with your project, and remember, advise is worth exactly what you pay for it! :)

chas22

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback, Im not much of a plumber but I can lay tile and work on HVAC units.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
one step up from the lowest

hi chas / charles

When faced with a multiple choice, i try to avoid the lowest rung on the ladder, and buy the next higher level of quality, assuming there is a physical difference, which is clearly true here.

this i learned in the 70's when travelling in Europe on a low budget, and everything i bought was terrible when i took the lowest price option. Jeans that i couldn't wear after two washings, pens that didn't write, food that didn't stay down... so i started byuing the next level above that, and i had a pen that kept on writing, and clothes that didn't fall apart, and i ate better and felt better too.

:)
david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks