faucet "off position"

Users who are viewing this thread

mmcgady

Reaction score
I am installing an American Standard shower. The instructions say to turn the valves to the "off position". "Off is not labeled anywhere on the hardware. Is there a standard way to identify "off positoin"? As I turn the valve, I can barely feel a slight click at a certain point. Is this it. Please help.

SpeedWrench

Reaction score
mmc...just a hunch....maybe the valves they are talking about are the existing water shutoff valves in your water lines to the shower....:)

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In the event you can not figure it out... try blowing thru the supply fittings while turning the knob/lever to help figure it out. Of course, this is a suggestion "before" installing the mixer.

mmcgady

Reaction score
It has separate controls for each hot and cold. I am just trying to shut off the water going to the shower head so that I can disconnect the line going to the head in order to relocate the head.

The plastic piece that turns to shut off the valve will rotate all the way around without stopping. I just want to know where in its rotation the off point is.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you saying that no matter where you turn it water will not stop coming out?

mmcgady

Reaction score
No. The head currently has a plug in it. I want to get the valves in the off position so that I can unplug the head to relocate it. Right now, if I unplug the head water will come flowing out (the remodel cannot handle an uncontolled flow at this point). I want to have both valve off before unplugging the head.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Look at the trim, it should / may have the word or position marked where off should be. You can install the trim and see where off should be. With all the trim installed the handle should not turn 360 degrees.

mmcgady

Reaction score
I need to get the valve in the off position before putting the trim on. The trim will go on regardless of the position of the valves. And yes, the trim will only enable 1/4 turn once it is on. I need to know where to position the valve before putting on the trim.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Put the trim on and find the off position then take it off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks