Swanstone Panels: Butting ends together on same wall

Users who are viewing this thread

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I have a 66 inch bathtub; Swanstone does not make a panel that is wide enuf to cover the wall along the length of the tub. I am using two panels butted together at the centerpoint of the wall, has anyone done this???
Should the panels be butted together tightly, or should I leave a 1/8 inch or 3/16 inch gap betwwen panels to accept a bead of caulk?

OfficeLinebacker

Reaction score
There should be instructions on the Swanstone website. I specifically eschewed Swanstone because I could not get the exact size for my alcove.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
OLB... you making me get out my dictionario... what's an eschew? Is it like a cashew with an esch instead of cash?:D

BennyBaby

Reaction score
This is my first and last swanstone purchase, I will eschew ( avoid, shun, )
buying those panels again. Swanstone only offers panels for standard sized tubs, my project wouldn't have been so difficult if I had a standard 60 inch tub, I installed a 66 inch tub and later found out that custom sized panels are hard to find.

Those panels are a pain in the butt for the DIY remodeler. They are heavy, cumbersome, and hard to dry-fit into any room with less than perfect plumb and square walls. I have the panels in, applying glue and setting them in place was a piece of cake...the hard part is trying to build a shoring system to hold the panels while the glue dries. I almost had a fricking heart attack trying to shore the panels before the glue set up, all without damaging my freshly drywalled and painted walls.
I probably screwed up too, I didn't leave a wide enuf gap between the butted panels. I am going to cut (or router ) a channel between the panels that can accept a bead of caulk.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would try a lot of things before trying to attack Swanstone with a router or something like it to enlarge a groove. I would probably start with trying to find a liquid type compound that would cure to a flexible joint in the existing groove. You might be able to inject it with a hypodermic needle and hold it in place with tape until it cures.

If there is no alternative to cutting, then I might try a thin diamond blade on a heavy duty Dremel or on a Rotozip. I would mount the tool on some kind of sliding/gliding device to help control it. If you have any groove at all you might be able to make a holder with something that runs in the groove to guide it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
panels

I would have placed the silicone sealant in the joint and then placed the second panel tight to the first one, rather than try to force it into a groove.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I think I can get a bead of silicone in the crack, I found a plastic syringe that will dispenese silicone RTV. It is about the size of the two part epoxy syringes you can buy in any hardware store.
I wish I had thought of applying the silicone into the first section edge before I butted the second panel..that is a great idea. IT is kind of like mortaring bricks together. I guess my first bathroom remodel will have its flaws. What I have learned, may help me on the next project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks