Well pump pressures

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexdc99

Reaction score
I see many different people run there well pumps at different pressures. I think Mine is set to 20/40. I there any benifit to running at 40/60 instead. I do want more pressure but I do not know what is a proper amount. I am running a jet pump in the basement and have a surface well if that helps.

Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
To get more pressure you have to adjust the pressure switch higher but... many old jet pumps won't be able to deliver more than 40-50 psi.

The average pressure for most residential well systems is 30/50 psi. For that you need to set the air pressure precharge in the pressure tank to 1-2 psi less than the cut-in setting (30) with no water in the tank. That assumes a captive air precharged bladder type tank.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Alexdc99

Reaction score
My pump is two years old, previous owner had it installed before we moved in. I have a blue Well-X-troll tank, it has an air valve on the top. I should get out my air pressure gauge and see what it is set at.

Alex

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Alex,

As Gary said it should be 1-2 pounds under the cut-in pressure. If your pump is coming on at 20#, the air pressure should be around 18#. However, you want to take the pressure with the tank empty, most important.

Alexdc99

Reaction score
Ok. I went down and took another look and the plumbing, I have a shutoff valve in between the pump and tank and another valve after the pressure tank. So I'll shut the one off after the pump and let all the pressure run out. Then I shut the second one off and then use the drain plug to empty the tank and then check the pressure.

Thanks for the info

Alex

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You should never have a shut off valve between a pump and its pressure switch. If you have the switch on the tank tee and shut the valve between the pump and the switch and open the plug on the tank tee, the pump is going to come on and the water will have nowhere to go due to that valve shut. That can cause serious damage up to and including blowing the pump off the drop pipe if it is a submersible pump in the well.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks