How difficult is replacing this bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

mf915

Reaction score
Hi,
I have this type of one-piece acrylic/fiberglass tub/surround bathtub. I'm hoping to replace it with a "generic" bathtub (from HD or lowes) and then tile the surrounding. How difficult is replacing bathtub like this ?

Here are couple more specific questions:
1) is the existing bathtub nailed to studs ? Are there drywalls behind the surround ?
2) will a "generic" bathtub fit the existing plumbing (drain pipe, etc) ? Is it likely that I'll need to replace the whole drain/pipe assembly ?? I mean - are they usually standard in size/locations ?

3) instead of replacing it - if I get a professional to refinish (paint, etc), how much am i looking at ?

I have never done it before - so i am little worried it might be too much for DIY.

Thanks

Attachments

• tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 7,741
Last edited:

Xenomorph

Reaction score
1) normally these 1 to 3 piece units are just screwed into the wall studs, you may have to be persuasive to get it out and possibly cut it out since its only acrylic.

2) when you change the bathtub, you almost always have to replumb the drain

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yeah, a sawsall works to chop it up into manageable pieces to cart out. There are flanges all around it that the drywall butts up and over. About the only place there isn't a flange is at the outside by the floor. You'll have to tear some of the drywall up to get it out.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
It is going to be messy, it probably has to be cut into 4 pieces. I'm assuming it is a one piece unit circa mid-seventies, I just removed one that looks very similar to yours. It was nailed to the studs with roofing nails. I had to cut back the drywall that overlapped the unit flange, remove the nails and cut (sawzall) the walls of the unit into manageable sections. The tub came out in one piece, after I tipped it on its side to get it thru the door.
The fiberglass will cause a dust cloud when it is cut, wear long sleeves, long pants, leather gloves and a some kind of eye and breathing protection.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is something I've done several times....cheap built apartments. Jadnashua and Bennybaby described it right... a sawzall with a short blade. Becareful not to cut into pipes or wiring some idiot put behind the tub.... cut shallow to avoid these. I've done so many that I can rip them out in 30-45 minutes. Complete replacement takes 10-14 continuous hours...not including drywall finishing and painting...or tile job....usually $600 labor for a pro-handyman such as myself...not all jobs are the same and some have hidden surprises.

Last edited:

BennyBaby

Reaction score
This thread looks dead, as I see it today. But I'll add that this is a 7 out of 10 on the difficulty scale, maybe an 8.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks