washing machine odor

Users who are viewing this thread

debbie9703

Reaction score
Recently while using my fairly new washer,sometimes there is a terrible odor (rotten eggs). I had the repair man out today and he said it was not the washing machine but was most likely the drain or the drain hose. This hose drains into the wall and down to the basement. We took out the hose and tried to run a metal line to see if there was a clog. The line would not go all the way down. I want to know before I call a plumber if I can use Drano? I believe the pipe is PVC. Any suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't use chemical drain openers. They don't work and will create a dangerous condition if the drain has to be opened. As previously noted, your problem is likely the trap location.

debbie9703

Reaction score
We tried to fish through the hole where the hose goes in the laundry room.It had some resistance about 2-3 feet down so we assume that is the trap. (Inside the wall) How can we clean it out?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may just be soap scum, etc caught on the inside of the pipe above the trap...try some dishwashing soap and maybe some bleach and scrub it with either a long bottle brush or a rag on a stick...don't get it caught!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks