Hose bib w/ galvanized line in crawl space

Users who are viewing this thread

jamespatrick4

Reaction score
We bought a 70 year old house from the original owner. The owner’s son re-plumbed the basement with CPVC, except for the supply to the hose-bib, which is galvanized. The galvanized line starts at a stop and waste valve, which is about 1 foot inside the basement wall. The galvanized then goes through the basement wall, through a crawl space (about 8 feet) then to the hose bib which is on the exterior wall of the crawl space. The line through the crawl space appears pretty level, though I have not checked with a level – at least when I turn off the stop and waste valve, uncap it and open the hose bib, water drains out. A plumber who worked on my furnace told my wife the hose bib needs to be moved to a basement wall that exits directly to the exterior, not through the crawl space. He didn’t explain why, though I suspect it's because the line is in the crawl space (thoug it runs between floor joists and surrounded by insulation). As long as I drain the line in the winter, I don’t see why need to move it. Should it be moved?

Thanks for any input.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Your exactly right. Just shut it off and let it drain, then replace the drain cap loosely so you don't loose it.

jamespatrick4

Reaction score
Thanks Plumber1. I finally spoke with the plumber and the reason for suggesting that the hose bib be moved was it is not a good idea to have water lines on the exterior. I'm not a plumber but I think that's the reason for the stop & waste valve on the inside of the basement? He also mentioned dissimilar metals but I don't believe that's a problem with brass (stop/waste valve) and galvanized. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks