Bathroom Sink Remodel/Drain Pieces Aren't Long Enough

Users who are viewing this thread

nesthead

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am the epitome of Plumbing Newbie. That's right - my very fist plumbing job. Please hold your laughter til the end...

Recently, I put in a new sink and faucet into my bathroom. Hooray for me! ....almost. I went to reconnect the pipes underneath, but they don't fit.

There is now a gap in between the u-shaped trap and the straight drain tailpiece.

I found something called an "extender piece". It's a 1 1/2" straight plastic piece that looks like if I cut it a bit, it will work. I just don't want to be running back and forth to the hardware store the rest of my life to get this done.

What part do I need to buy to finish the job? I can't have guests washing their hands in the bathtub. ;)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most bathroom sinks use 1-1/4", but to be sure, just take a piece of the existing drain with you to the hardware.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Once you figure out what you need, you can cut it using a hacksaw. You can hold it in place with any mitre box. Also, some toolboxes have a groove on top where you can clamp down a pipe with one hand and cut it with the other.

Don't cut it too short. You need to leave a little extra to insure that it doesn't pull out and leak later on.

nesthead

Reaction score
Slip joint extension....never would have figured that one out.
I'll take the stuff with me to get the right fit.

Thank you! :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks