Swanstone Shower Base - Do They Flex

Users who are viewing this thread

charlesm1950

Reaction score
The local big box hardware store now sells Swanstone shower bases online but they don't have them in the store. They have two types, one much cheaper than the other. I'm interested in the more expensive solid surface base. Since I can't see it until I order it and it arrives, I wondered if anyone has had experience with the Swanstone solid surface shower bases? I really don't want it if it flexes. I weight about 220 and when I travel I often find the hotel shower pan is some sort of plastic that bends and a step around. I'm hoping that the $400 solid surface stuff is more like cultured marble. Your feedback would be appreciated. I would hate to buy it and then have to pay to ship it back if is too flimsy.
Thanks,
Charles

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The trick to a solid feeling shower is to lay down a layer of solid material like deck mud (sand plus cement) or similar, and smush the pan down into it so that it is 100% supported. Even a cheap one will feel solid under those circumstances. The more expensive ones are less likely to flex, but still can unless you do this. This also helps to make the floor perfectly flat, which makes installation of the walls and doors easier, to, and makes it drain as it was designed to.

Check out www.johnbridge.com. YOu might change your mind about tackling a tiled shower, which will look better and last longer...they've got hundreds of ideas and good help to guide you.

charlesm1950

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

It sounds like the $250 base might be fine if I put the mud
under it like you say. Thanks for the "how to" information.

I've done tile before, both floors and a kitchen back splash.
I will check out the link to find more about tiling a shower.

Regards,
Charles :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Swan makes two types . The less expensive is a molded fibreglas unit. They are quite heavy construction, and have "feet" so do not require bedding in gypcrete, but you could for added rigidity. Same goes for the more expensive units, which are the actual swanstone ( artificial granite ) material.

elgato

Reaction score
You have probably solved this by now. I also was expecting the $400.00 Swanstone base to be more solid with less flex. I received my 34x54 Swanstone base this week. I was extremely surprised to see that it was light weight and flexes as bad as the cheap hotel ones. I had originally purchased a fiberglas or composite Florestone unit for $127.00 but decided on the Swanstone for improved reliability.
The Swanstone is nice looking but it would be unacceptable without a mortar base.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks