Sprinkler water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Every year I turn off the main valve to my sprinkler system and have the sprinkler lines blown out. This main valve also turns off the water hose in the backyard since it's connected to the same main shutoff. My question is, once I turn this valve off and blow out the water in the sprinkler lines can I turn the valve back on so that I have access to the garden hose? Will water fill the sprinkler lines or would this only occur if or when I turn on the sprinklers on for the first time again?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sprinkler lines would stay dry, but the valves would have water in them and would probably freeze, and the water line to the backyard would also freeze.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suggest tapping into another water source for your garden hose. They make hose adapters that screw on to a faucet spout after removing the faucet aerator.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree, but that source has to be protected from freezing also. If you install a frost free valve into the house, you can have water year around. However, do not leave a hose connected to it during cold weather. That prevents the frost free valve from drain and it will freeze and break.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Gary... if you put a vaccum breaker on the faucet then wouldn't the frost free valve be able to drain if a hose pipe were attached?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't verify this for all brands, but my frost free faucets have a build in anti syphon feature, but you can not leave a hose attached or the draining will not happen. I learned this the hard way several years ago. There was water in the 12" section of the valve between the bib and the actual shut off, and come spring when I tried to use the faucet, I discovered that section of copper pipe had split big time!

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've replaced/repaired a couple of those for the same reason you mentioned except they got busted by being sloped backwards. I agree tho' ...best idea is to disconnect hose... cold plastic/rubber can get brittle and bust your hose pipe when it freezes...if it doesn't bust the cold & ice can really put hell on it and make it unusable in the spring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks