Raise Cast Iron Radiator due to new wood floors - HELP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

shoo fly

Reaction score
My house is old - 1925. I just installed new Bruce 3/4" hardwood floors over the existing wood floors which were in bad shape. Now I have to re-connect the cast iron heating radiators in each of the rooms (I removed the radiators and installed the new flooring underneath them also).

The heating sytem is piped with black pipe which is in amazingly good shape. My problem is that I can't find a way to get the fittings to match up now that the radiator sits 3/4" higher than it used to. I tried using a coupling and close nipple to extend the fittings, but this brings them up way too high and I'd have to use some kind of blocking to set the radiator on to get it up higher (I don't want to do this). I guess I could also just cut the legs of the radiator off by 3/4" - which would also be a real pain....

Has anyone run into this and come up with a good solution? Any help is greatly appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connections

Have you tried pulling up on the valves and elbows? Often there is enough "spring" in the piping to allow them to be raised the distance you need.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
crawl space or second floor?

you got some fun ahead of you

you might be able to just pull them up that much li HJ said

or if you are on a crawl space you might need to see

what is holding those pipes in place against the joysts

below the floor... takeing off a pipe strap or

knotching the wood 3/4 of an inch

to get those pipes to raise up that much wont hurt anything..

anything is better than cutting off the legs to the radiators

shoo fly

Reaction score
hj said:
Have you tried pulling up on the valves and elbows? Often there is enough "spring" in the piping to allow them to be raised the distance you need.

Yeah - not enogh room to pull them up. I also notched out the holes larger prior to installing the floors and still not enough room. It fells like the pipe underneath goes through a joist and just stops hard when I yank it and try to force it up......

shoo fly

Reaction score
Male / Female Adapter

One additional question for you guys - Is there such a thing as a Male to Female adapter for 1" black pipe? Like a street elbow without the elbow? Or a coupling with male threads on one side and femal on the other?

This might solve my problem as it would be shorter than what I'm using now - a regular cuopling plus a close nipple...

If this stuff is available any idea where I can get it?

shoo fly

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
How bout a street coupling??????

A street coupling - yeah, perfect. But I can't find that anywhere locally or on the net. Any suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks