Ice maker hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I want to tap into the cold line under a kitchen sink to hook up an ice maker. Is the best (and only) way to do this to install a saddle valve into the 1/2" copper supply line? There is a shutoff valve right there as well. Do they make a shutoff valve with a 1/4" nipple?

I personally don't like saddle valves as it seems like it's just a matter of time before they start leaking.

Lancaster

Reaction score
I dont like Saddle valves either.Yes they make compression stop valves with 1/4" compression outlet,but only angle stops.They work great with the braided supply lines for icemakers.

George R

Reaction score
I don't like saddle valves either. They never work when you need to move the frig.

Solder in a 1/2" T with a short stub of pipe connected to a 1/2" male adapter (cut below the sink shutoff). Screw a 1/4 turn shutoff valve (1/2" female x 1/2" female) on to the adapter. On the output side of the shutoff, put a 1/2 MIP by 1/4" compression adapter. Run 1/4 copper tubing to the refrigerator.

You don't necessarily have to tap in under the sink, if it's easier to tap into a cold water line in the basement, do so.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
George R said:
I don't like saddle valves either. They never work when you need to move the frig.

Solder in a 1/2" T with a short stub of pipe connected to a 1/2" male adapter (cut below the sink shutoff). Screw a 1/4 turn shutoff valve (1/2" female x 1/2" female) on to the adapter. On the output side of the shutoff, put a 1/2 MIP by 1/4" compression adapter. Run 1/4 copper tubing to the refrigerator.

You don't necessarily have to tap in under the sink, if it's easier to tap into a cold water line in the basement, do so.

I'm looking for a little simpler way of doing this.

Right now, it's between the saddle valve and the angle stop with 1/4" nipple.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lancaster said:
I dont like Saddle valves either.Yes they make compression stop valves with 1/4" compression outlet,but only angle stops.They work great with the braided supply lines for icemakers.

Excuse my ignorance, but is it difficult or not recommended to replace a straight stop with an angle stop? Are they used in different situations, or is it just a matter of individual taste?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best way to do this is to install a tee in the supply line. Then use a short piece of pipe and a ball valve. On the outlet side of the valve, reduce to the copper tubing to the ice maker. This will give you a connection that will be virtually fail proof. The best place to tie into the supply line will depend on your home, but the basement or crawlspace is the probably the best. Throw that saddle valve piece of s##t as far away as possible. Sure they're simple to install, but they are prone to fail.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
The best way to do this is to install a tee in the supply line. Then use a short piece of pipe and a ball valve. On the outlet side of the valve, reduce to the copper tubing to the ice maker. This will give you a connection that will be virtually fail proof. The best place to tie into the supply line will depend on your home, but the basement or crawlspace is the probably the best. Throw that saddle valve piece of s##t as far away as possible. Sure they're simple to install, but they are prone to fail.

Under the kitchen sink is where I want to tap into the supply line. I can run the 1/4" braided supply line behind the kitchen cabinet, along the floor for a few feet and into the back of the frig. No muss, no fuss.

So far, changing out the stop valve for one with the extra 1/4" fitting sounds like the easiest and safest way to go. I have limited experience sweating pipes!:eek:

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the Dahl line of supply valves .

There are fantastic configurations that you can create ! All 1/4 turn , diffrent sizes,,,,,, this is the BEST full line of cut-offs I've ever used.

Good luck !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

A good plumbing supply place with have an "Add a Tee" 3/8"x1/4" that you connect to the existing valve after unfastening the supply tube, assuming you do not have the one piece valve/tube with the corrugated supply tube, then reconnect the supply to the top of the tee and your RO to the side of it.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
hj said:
A good plumbing supply place with have an "Add a Tee" 3/8"x1/4" that you connect to the existing valve after unfastening the supply tube, assuming you do not have the one piece valve/tube with the corrugated supply tube, then reconnect the supply to the top of the tee and your RO to the side of it.

That's the one I went with and it worked like a charm. :)

Amazingly, none of the local supply houses even heard of it, yet alone carried it. But fortunately our local hardware chain, "Do it Best" had that tee hanging up on the wall next to the ice maker install kit. The kit came with 15 ft. of white plastic tubing and a saddle valve, which I threw in the trash.

Thanks to you and everyone else who had input on this.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks