shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

GregGB

Reaction score
Is it normal to have standing water in a shower drain about 4 inches down from the drain cover? We have some smell (occasional) coming from the drain and I noticed the water level and dont know if that is normal.

What confuses me is that there does not seem to be a clog. Whenever the shower runs there is not back up of water into the shower basin.

I drano'd the drain and that did not do anything. I plunged the water inside the drain and it takes the level down some but only to the bend in the pipe below the drain.

If someone can help me understand if this is normal operation or if I have a plug I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes you should be able to see water in your shower drain Water seals out sewer gas.

First thing I would check is if there is any hair hanging down from the strainer grid. If there is take the grid off and clean everything from there to the water that's in the drain. Chlorox and soap and hot water should sweeten that drain up.

Otherwise the smell might be from somewhere else close by. Follow your nose.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to elaborate on Plumber1's response. The water you are seeing is the the P trap which all drains are required to have to seal out the sewer gasses. You can easily see these traps under your sinks, others like yours shower are less visiable but are still there. The toilet has a trap built into the base of the toilet. Just another note. Don't use caustic chemicals in a drain. They do not work on clogs despite the advertisments, and they creat a hazzard if you need to have a plumber auger the drain.

GregGB

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks so much for responding to my simpleton questions! You guys are really helpful!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks