View Full Version : Tub filler nipple

01-17-2005, 04:44 AM
What type of pipe material should be used for a tub filler nipple? Does the nipple have to be copper or brass? or can galvanized steel be used?


01-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Whether you use copper or brass depends on the type of spout and its connection. If it is a "slip on" then you have to use copper. If it has a female thread, then you use a brass one. A steel nipple will work for a long time but eventually it may start to rust and then every time you turn the water on the first water will be brownish.

01-17-2005, 06:42 AM
It's definitely a threaded filler so I need a threaded nipple. Do brass nipples come in different lengths or is this something that needs to be threaded to a custom length? (I'm wondering if this is something I can actually buy myself).

Mike Swearingen
01-17-2005, 07:49 AM
If your tub spout is the screw-on type, it has to be threaded on both ends and be a specific length based on your type of tub spout. If it is the slide-on type with a set screw, it only has to be threaded on the wall end and long enough to fit the spout on properly.
Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape on all male threads wrapped clockwise only as the threaded end faces you.
Remove the old one that your spout is on, and take it to any plumbing supply place. You should be able to get something that matches it.
Good Luck!

01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
They come in different lengths by 1/2" increments from 1 1/4" up to 6". For longer lengths you use two shorter ones with a coupling between them.