Sewerage pump install

Users who are viewing this thread

Agewon

Reaction score
I am planning on a full bathroom in the basement and have a few questions.
I know I will have to cut the slab to supply a main from the bathroom group to the pump which will be about 15 feet away, then pump it back to the sewer main. i am trying to keep the basin in a confined corner of the basement to reduce noise. i plan on doing all the work myself as i am very handy and do lots of research. any help will be great.

1. do i need a certain type of drain screen in the shower for hair.
2. can i Re-vent all fixtures in the bathroom, sink and shower.
3. does the toilet need a vent if the main to the basin is 4" i.d.
4. does it matter which fixtures drain into the main at any location? ex. sink before toilet etc.
5. Is it "Really" bad to use a mechanical vent for the basin?
6. How much do i need to dig out for traps
These may be common questions but i always try and do thing the right way and you all seem to be very helpful.
Thanks alot. agewon.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Agewon said:
I am planning on a full bathroom in the basement and have a few questions.
I know I will have to cut the slab to supply a main from the bathroom group to the pump which will be about 15 feet away, then pump it back to the sewer main. i am trying to keep the basin in a confined corner of the basement to reduce noise. i plan on doing all the work myself as i am very handy and do lots of research. any help will be great.

1. do i need a certain type of drain screen in the shower for hair.
2. can i Re-vent all fixtures in the bathroom, sink and shower.
3. does the toilet need a vent if the main to the basin is 4" i.d.
4. does it matter which fixtures drain into the main at any location? ex. sink before toilet etc.
5. Is it "Really" bad to use a mechanical vent for the basin?
6. How much do i need to dig out for traps
These may be common questions but i always try and do thing the right way and you all seem to be very helpful.
Thanks alot. agewon.
1. If you use a screen the shower will be "clogged" continually.
2. Al the fixtures need to be "revented".
3. The toilet and the basin require vents regardless of the size of the drain pipe.
4. The arrangement of the fixtures is immaterial as long as they are properly piped and vented.
5. It can be "bad" under certain specific situations. But since you must have at least one "real" vent, and the distance from the lavatory to that vent cannot be very great, why take the chance?
6. Whatever it takes to install them. It depends on how deep your pipe is to start with.
7. Unless your main drain is leaves the building above the floor, why are you using a pump with all the extra cost, maintneance, and potential failures a pump is prone to?

Agewon

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so soon, i really appreciate it. I guess i should have stated that the Main is about three feet off the basement floor. I considered just a Quick jon system but Wifee really wants a shower as well. When i ask about re-venting, i think i may be using the wrong terminoligy (spelling). In an instance like a kitchen island, do they use something like a barometric(Read that somewhere) vent or a mechanical vent. The reason i ask is because i cannot go to the roof or tie into the stack above the upstairs group.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

If you cannot vent this through the roof or tie into another vent of adequate size, you cannot install this system or any other ejector system. An ejector CANNOT be vented with a mechanical vent. In addition to the ejector being vented, each fixture needs to be vented. The venting needs to be run in specific ways, with specific fittings, within specific distances to its-p-trap--this is the hard part of the job. If you do not know these things, you need to, plus alot more. Horizontal vents taken off below the flood rim level of a fixture must have the invert taken off above the center line of the drain line that that vent serves. You must use drainage fittings and grade 1/4" per foot.
Your questions indicate that you are probably a ways away from what you need to know to plumb (vent mostly) this correctly. This is a major undertaking and a tough first plumbing project. You will need to know code for your area, for the project you are doing, and understand what it says.
This should be permitted and inspected. Doing a project of this size with no permit could have ramifications down the road. And you will know that is done correctly.

Agewon

Reaction score
Providing i can go up with a new vent through the roof,

1. What is the max distance from the trap for each vent?
2. What is the max. horizontal distance for a vent?
3. what do you mean by removing the invert?

please dont think i am being ungreatful when i say this, but i thought this was a forum, a place where people could ask for help and not get discouraged. This is a place for do-it-yourselfers. i never said i was going to start digging tomorrow, and never did i say i was "ready". Hence, here i am. i wrote in my first post that i am handy and do lots of research. I am not some guy who cant tell the difference between changing a lightbulb and building a house. If you ever need to know how to reverse a Brushshifting motor, or Check the ladder-logic of a PLC, i dont expect you to know how, but if asked, i will give you all the knowlege i have to help you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks