water line

Users who are viewing this thread

mama53

Reaction score
I live in n.y state northen part and it gets very cold here .We have to put in a new water line. How far down do we have to dig down to go past the frost line.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends on conditions.

Sod will reduce the depth of freezing. If the line is where it gets covered with snow, it won't freeze as deep. If it is under bare earth or a concrete driveway that is kept free of snow, it will go deeper.

Most places in the north want at least 4 feet. Someone in the local town offices should know.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm pushing my memory here, but I think Rochester NY wanted more than 4' when I did this in the early 70s. Bob's right on, though -- call whatever building department has jurisdiction in your area. I'd add another foot for global warming effects.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Even though I was joking, that depends on where you live, actually. Depending on what happens (at 65, I'm not terribly concerned, btw), your home could be under water (e.g., Miami Beach), or under lots of snow most of the time (e.g., Europe). There's general agreement there'll be dramatic climate change, but there are still lots of devils in the details.

Michael McCann

Reaction score
I'm new to this web cite and this is my fist reply - everyone start clapping now.
I live in Pennsylvania and I'm replacing my water line to. It was suggested that I go no less than 40". I'n not sure how much colder it is in New York though but 4 feet seems to be the standard. Good luck. Are you doing it yourself?
:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks