Need to move PB hot water line...

Users who are viewing this thread

mad1ben2

Reaction score
... to make room for a pocket door I'm installing in bathroom. I've determined I have PB and I need to make a quick 90 deg turn straight down to the floor from the hot side of the shower unit.

Right now I have one of the white push on compression fittings on this now but realize that is not something I want to sheetrock behind a wall.

In studying up on all this, I've learned that PEX and PB have different IDs and realize that the barb end of PEX and PB fittings are different (more than just the OD, but also the height and spacing of the barbs).

So here is my question: currently the PB is crimped directly to the hot side of the shower unit. Does this mean that the shower unit (Moen) I have is strictly to be used with PB pipe?

what I want to do is come off the hot side with PEX, make a 90deg turn, and then put in an adapter from PEX to PB... but I'm concerned that the PEX will not make adaquate connection to the shower unit since it is currently connected to PB and PEX and PB have different dimensions.

I know I could just use a PB to PEX adapter off the hot water side, then a PEX 90, then back to an adapter, but space is limited and I don't like all those [unnecessary?] connections that could fail later...

thoughts?

thanks! Scott

mad1ben2

Reaction score
Am I just stupid?

Am I asking a dumb question or not clear in the description of my problem?

Sorry to be impatient....:D

Xenomorph

Reaction score
If your valve was manu'd with PB barbs on it..then ur kinda stuck. Sounds like the big adapting elbow is the easiest way to go...yes it is a big workaround...but you don't have much choice. You could possibly get rid of the pex 90 by using a metal bend support if it will fit in your space...

mad1ben2

Reaction score
Thanks for the response... what is a "metal bend support"?

Can I buy PB fittings? If not, does anyone know if they make a PEX to PB adaptor that is 90 degrees?

mad1ben2

Reaction score
PB fittings available?

bump...

Been working on my tile floor and will soon be getting back to my plumbing workaround... just pushing this back up to the top in case anyone has any other advise before I permanently fix my plumbing with PB -> PEX adapter, PEX -> PEX elbow, and finally a PEX -> PB adaptor...

at least I'll get to crimp more bands with this ridiculous number of connections and that will help justify the $7 to rent the crimping tool :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks