Installed the base fine, but now the tank won't fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

MAB212

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom, and didn't realize there was any measuring to fitting in a new toilet - I just went to Home Depot and picked a bottom and a tank. The base went in just fine. When I went to set the tank, it won't fit - it would lean forward quite a bit. The problem is that it is too close to the wall. After going back to Home Depot, I realized there was some measuring to be done. At home, I measured 9 1/2" from the back wall to the bolts on the installed toilet. I'm thinking that that is where the flange measurement would be, that it seems everyone is saying should be 12"? Then I measured to the front of the base of the toilet (on the floor), and it only measures 22". Am I ever going to find a toilet to fit this space, and please tell me I don't have to take the toilet out and start over. It's not returnable! Please give me some advice. :confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You will never get that toilet to fit, and if it is a 12" unit, the tank should not only tilt forward, but it should be impossible to even get the bolt holes to line up. You need a 10" toilet, and hopefully it will fit on a 9 1/2" measurement, since that is the shortest one made.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
hj is right, get a toilet that sets at 10" center set. Most of the time depending on manufacture of the toilet, it's the tank that decides the center, ask at Home Depot if you need to return the complete toilet or only the tank.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

You need something called a 10" rough-in toilet--you will pay more and your selection will be limited. Some companies use the same bowl and have a different tank depending on whether it is a 10, 12, or 14" rough-in. You may need to go to a plumbing supply place. When you measured, did you measure from the drywall or the moulding? If from the drywall and you actually only have 9-1/2", keep your fingers crossed that you can get it to set in 9-1/2".
Deb
The Pipewench

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A true 10" rough toilet

Toto makes models that will convert to a true 10" rough.
They come with a standard 12" kit, but the 10" kit can be ordered.
That pushes the bowl forward 2" away from the wall.
They work with rough-in's that are as close as 9 1/4" from the wall.
The water supply needs to be at least 6" from the center of the shutoff, to the center of the fixture or it will hit the back of the toilet.
The model pictured is the Vespin MS614114CEFG

Toto also makes a CST744EF.10that uses a 10" bowl and standard tank.
According to the pdf, it looks like it will rough in at 9.25"

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks