PDA

View Full Version : Flange Too High

T27
01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I just started to install a new Drake at the end of a bathroom remodel. The flange is too high and I have a 1/4 inch under the toilet to shim. Everything was ok until I replaced the old tile floor with hardwood and the floor level dropped by a 1/2 inch or so. The drainpipes are copper. I can get at the drain from below if absolutely necessary. I really don't want to fill the gap with caulk.

From previous posts, I'd think I should sweat off the old flange, cut the drain pipe off a bit and install a new flange.

Sounds simple. What should I watch out for?

Plumber2000
01-13-2005, 04:28 PM
If your going to add a new flange don't worry about unsweating the pipe, cut the pipe below, and new pipe elbow and flange, should be simple.

T27
01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. If I go in from below, I'll end up with a sheetrock repair. That"s my last resort

I'm still leaning towards sweat and cut. Is there any chance that the flange is glued or threaded on?

Plumber2000
01-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Nope it is sweated on, sorry to tell you that, other option is to set toilet on a 1/4" platform.

I'd not want to try a unsweat that flange, you can start a fire, it will take too much heat, and to do it that way, you will need access to below anyways.

themillhousefactor
01-18-2005, 07:58 PM
so, would you replace the flange if it happened to be cast iron (instead of copper)? same thing happend to us. i'd hate to go thru the time/expense of taking out the cast iron flange to drop the toilet 1/4". An suggestions? thanks

Plumber2000
01-19-2005, 04:35 AM
If it was me, I'd install a new flange from below.

hj
01-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Flanges always install from above the floor. You should be able to unsweat the brass flange by heating the interior of the pipe and then lower it. A cast iron flange is the easiest to lower because you can break it off and install a new one in a matter of minutes.

Plumber2000
01-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Good luck and careful with the torch. Fire can burn down the house, keep fire extinguisher on hand and or water on the ready.