carpet issues

Users who are viewing this thread

asuwish

Reaction score
We are on the brink of finishing our renovation of our tv/study room which included new drywall, sound insulation, new windows, doors, trim, paint and so forth. I picked a colour for the carpet off a sample board. Turns out the board was faded and dirty but didn't find that out until the new carpet was installed. It has a lot of yellow pigment in it that was not in the sample. I hate to have to rip it out but I know it will bug me every time I go into that room. I wanted a very neutral colour which would go with the paint that I had chosen (using colour chips and purchased samples). The manufacturer and stainmaster both have warranties which allow for a one-time exchange, however, I would have to pay for the installation, and I despair at the thought of the trim having to be pulled up (would it have to be?) and touch ups and who knows what else will happen. Does anyone else think that the business that had me pick a carpet from a faded and dirty sample board should pay for the installation of a new carpet? The business explains that the difference between the sample and the laid carpet is within industry standards for the dial-up (?). I'm not sure if "dirt" is a colour. Oh, I also paid a fortune for it. It's very, very soft.

ps i spell "colour" the canadian way

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it was installed, but if it were done conventionally there would be tack strips around the perimeter of the room. The old carpet is easily pulled up from the tack strips and the new laid down in its place. There may be doorway trims that would have to be replaced, but it shouldn't be a big deal, and your base moldings shouldn't have to be disturbed. No idea what it would cost.

As for who should pay, I'm torn, but must confess that anyone who relies on an old, faded, dirty sample is asking for trouble. I think I'd accept their exchange, make darn sure you've got an accurate sample to judge from, and eat the installation cost. Maybe the dealer will split it with you if he's worth going back to with future business.

You might be able to hide the weird colour with clever lighting. A good decorator could advise in that area, probably at about the same cost as the carpet install.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
switched carpets on you?

The store and the manufacturer may have sent you another carpet from the one you ordered.

That happened to me. Luckily, my wife was present when they arrived and began installing, and she started asking questions and saying that she wasn't normally suspicious... By the way, she was the one who chose the colour and made the order after we had narrowed down the field, so I was not in a position to know this when it arrived and got rolled out.

The long story is that they ended up agreeing the same day that they had installed another carpet, since the one we had ordered was "discontinued" and they had received a replacement deemed equivalent. I noticed that they never said whether or not they were aware of the switch long in advance (like "hmm, good enough!") or only at the last minute ("surprise!"). I suspect they were not completely forthcoming with all information.

It took months to get another carpet. We walked on the subfloor and foam the whole time.

Based on the way the treated us during this long time period, I would guess that the big switcharoo is not an unusual occurence.

Best way to know: go to another store and ask about a carpet that you were told was not available in that colour. The manufacturer's web site or 1-800 tech support line will tell you which stores have their product. Maybe the new store will be so helpful that they gain something from the situation too.

david

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Carpet color varies slightly from dye lot to dye lot. But if the sample board was shown to you by a sales rep., and the color variance was more than what one would normally expect from different dye lots, then I think the company should be responsible for the entire installation.

As far as removing the base board: Did the original installers have to remove all the baseboard? You don't normally have to remove the baseboard unless your new carpet is significantly thicker than the old carpet. The padding does not go under the baseboard, so even if the padding became thicker, it wouldn't matter.

If you also have shoe molding that is a different story, and it would have to be removed, along with all the carpet bars.

asuwish

Reaction score
carpet saga continues

Thanks for the replies. Since my original posting the carpet store asked me to pick out some other colours from the same faded/dirty sample board that I had originally picked from so that they could order in larger samples(1' x 2' rather than 1" by 4"). I chose 5 light and neutral colours. I agonized again over having to pull up the new carpet but finally came to a decision. I chose a colour. The manufacturer then pulled a roll of that colour and cut a 1'x12' strip and sent it to me and put the rest of the roll aside. The contractor and I laughed when we saw it because it doesn't match the large sample that I picked it from (not soiled nor faded). Luckily, we liked it even better than the sample and have since ordered that specific roll. I realize that there are variations in dye lots, but these differences are pretty big.

I don't think they pulled a "switcharoo" as they are still offering this colour and the large sample they sent (after the fact) actually matched the carpet that they laid.

I'm still not sure who will pay for the removal and installation, although the salesman did say he would give me a "deal". I will keep you posted as to what that will be.

It's the same style of carpet going down as they are pulling up - what are "shoe molding" and "carpet bars". My contractor was told that the trim would not need to be pulled up. Whew.

In my defense, I didn't know I was picking from a faded/dirty sample otherwise I wouldn't have done it!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
asuwish said:
what are "shoe molding" and "carpet bars". My contractor was told that the trim would not need to be pulled up. Whew.

Shoe molding is a thin molding that is nailed onto the bottom of the baseboard, but usually is used when the flooring is not carpeted.

Carpet bars are the metal strips that are used wherever the carpet meets a non-carpeted floor. You usually can't re-use them, because they are nailed in place and pulling them generally ruins them.

asuwish said:
In my defense, I didn't know I was picking from a faded/dirty sample otherwise I wouldn't have done it!

It sounds like it doesn't matter whether you choose from a faded sample board or a fresh one with that particular company.

asuwish

Reaction score
Carpet colours...

The "new" carpet has been installed and it looks great. Remember how they were going to put aside the roll that they had cut the large 1x12 sample from, so I knew that it would be that exact colour? Well, actually the sample came from a roll end and the carpet they sent for the room was actually from a different bolt. No matter, however, as the two colours actually MATCHED. Don't anyone faint. A great lesson has been learned in regards to carpets and colour.
I haven't seen the bill for the installation but my contractor will battle it out for me. The trim did not have to be removed and they reused those tack strip things. It was well worth the switch and the sleepless nights!
Now, if only the rest of our renonvations would come to an end so we can find out what our budget it for furniture. It's a beautiful, nearly empty room. Just a giant tv and a lonely chair right now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks