PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Exterior Doors

Weaselpolooza
09-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Can Fiberglass exterior door be painted? I have come across some cheap doors, but they are not the color I want.

OldPete
09-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Yes. In fact, they must be, in most cases to keep warranty on them.

Pete

Weaselpolooza
09-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Actually they are already painted. I would be painting over the existing paint to match my color scheme. Is this OK?

Cass
09-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Go for it.

OldPete
09-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Actually they are already painted. I would be painting over the existing paint to match my color scheme. Is this OK?

Yes. And if you use a stripper or something to remove the paint (and not the kind you find in a night-club, ;)) -- use care since some of them can do funky things to fiberglass.

Gary Swart
09-29-2006, 01:23 PM
I think paint stripper would be a waste of time and effort on a fiberglass door. You might want to lightly sand the surface, but even that might not be necessary, depending on the paint you use.

jimbo
09-30-2006, 03:36 AM
I agree with G.S. This is a straightforward paint issue....surface prep is the key. I wouldn't use any chemicals, not even liquid sandpaper. A little TSP would probably take any sheen off, then I would use a good coat of primer and best quality acrylic topcoat.

indyjps
10-16-2006, 08:30 AM
ive done them with auto paint, scuff them down, degrease and shoot the paint, you can have it mixed in any color and any amount of shine. use a single stage with a hardener and youre good to go. you can even wax them once a year.