Gas to house was off for a week, now cannot get it back on

Users who are viewing this thread

kurt

Reaction score
Hi, I turned the gas back on, and when I go to the cooktop, it flames for 5 seconds and then dies out. I am in socal and am unsure if the regulator needs to be reset or not - it is a simple one with a single removable nut in the center - no earthquake valve, so that is not the issue. I have turned off the gas and slowly turned it back on so the valve will not be surprised, but no go. even removed power to the cook top thinking I needed to bleed the line, but no luck - any thoughts? thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

Soem utilities use a system that requires that they reset the valve after it has been turned off. Call them to turn it on and they will do whatever is required and probably light your pilot lights in the process.

kurt

Reaction score
that's fine but I can't wait - want to do it myself

hj said:
Soem utilities use a system that requires that they reset the valve after it has been turned off. Call them to turn it on and they will do whatever is required and probably light your pilot lights in the process.

so do you have any idea how to do it? regulator has a screw off large bolt if that helps. thanks

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Bleed Air

I was unaware of the resetable units. If that is not your case I think you just have not allow enough patience to bleed the air out. Our regulators do not need to be adjusted from the gas being shut off. It is possible to blow the diaphram but that is not common. I think you should try harder to bleed the air.

kurt

Reaction score
ok

LonnythePlumber said:
I was unaware of the resetable units. If that is not your case I think you just have not allow enough patience to bleed the air out. Our regulators do not need to be adjusted from the gas being shut off. It is possible to blow the diaphram but that is not common. I think you should try harder to bleed the air.

if I disconnect the power from the cooktop and turn the 4 valves on, will this do the trick and how long do I need to let the kitchen fill with fumes? thanks

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
No Fumes

Don't fill your house with fumes. If you have fumes you have gas and you should lite it. Only turn on one burner. I don't understand what power you are shutting off. Are you shutting off the electronic ignition? Do you have another gas appliance like a furnace or water heater to see how they are functioning?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I know on my stove, not all burners will work if the power is off; their valves are actually controlled not only by the manual valve, but also by a solonoid. Yours may work the same way (this is a Thermador). The burners that cycle on and off on very low will not light at all (because their valve doesn't open) if you don't have power. The "normal" burners don't care, except that the igniter doesn't work.

kurt

Reaction score
hey

LonnythePlumber said:
Don't fill your house with fumes. If you have fumes you have gas and you should lite it. Only turn on one burner. I don't understand what power you are shutting off. Are you shutting off the electronic ignition? Do you have another gas appliance like a furnace or water heater to see how they are functioning?

yes, power is the fire the burners, bottom line - what is the correct way to bleed the air? nothing working in the house, not the water heater, nothing - thanks again

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

It is laudable that you want to do it yourself, but you do not seem to be making much progress. Are you sure you actually turned the gas on by rotating the valve 90 degrees? If you went 180 degrees you turned it off again. When it was turned off, unless a pipe was cut and repaired, no air entered the line, so there is none to bleed out. If there were air, it would be evacuated very quickly through the stove burners and then they would light. There is no need to disconnect anything. If the burners do not light you do not have gas and we cannot tell you why without checking your system.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

You never said the gas company turned the gas off. When they turn it off, they put the plug in it so the customer cannot turn it on until the reason for turning it off is taken care of.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks