Are there any gas hot water tanks you would not buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

stanleyj

Reaction score
1) I live in the Buffalo NY area. My choice of hot water heaters is somwhat limited to : Home depot - ge, sears - kenmore - , and local plumbing stores that have mor-flo (amearican premier) and AO smith.

The plumbing stores only have 6 year warranty heaters where sears and home depot offer models with up to 12 years.

Recent consumer reports say "buy the highest warranty because it has better construction"; like more insulation.

I only need a 40 gal, but I may get a 50 gal (for no good reason.)

I searched these forums and found different comments as well as which MFG makes which heater but are they really contructed the same when they put another name on them?

Now I am done to specifics. Based on your experience, a recommendation would be nice but if you don't want to recommend a heater brand, which one would you not put in your house.

2) To add to my confusion, I had one salesman tell me he has some 50 gal AO smiths from last year that he can give me a good price on. The model number is the same as what I am looking at today gcv50, but he said it does not have the same specs as one built today. Can the model number remain the same from year to year, yet have different specs?

Please provide me with your experiences thoughts, and prayers. I am expierenced in DIY so I will self install.

Stan

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water heaters

If you do not intend to pour a can of gasoline under the new water heater, or use paint thinners or other flammable things around it then you should be able to use last years heaters and save at least $100.00. The difference between a 6 year heater and a 12 year one is the price, which amounts to an insurance policy you purchased. In fact one company changes from a 6 year to a 10 year by charging you a premium and then giving you a sticker that changes the 6 to a 10.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Get Last Year's

I think you'll be better off with last years heater because the new ones have a different system that may have problems that are not worked out yet.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
No Difference

I don't think there is a significant difference between the water heater manufacturers. And if there is with the new FVIR heaters we do not know it yet. This has not always been the case. Twenty years ago there were more manufacturers and there were differences. There does not seem to have been any difference in life or maintenance with the heaters we have been installing the past decade. This is not true with toilets however.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've not looked for awhile, but there were some tanks that were not glass lined, either made of a plastic or stainless steel. One of these could make a longevity difference. Some also come with foam insulation, the more the merrier. Also, some are now available with direct venting and closed combustion which may offer increased efficiency. But, between "normal" tanks, they all work about the same.

Note, I'm not a pro.

stanleyj

Reaction score
Down to 2 - Rudd or AO Smith

My company has accounts with distributors so I'm down to 2 choices. Rudd and AO Smith. The Rudd is 50$ more. They are both the basic 6 year product. Any Rudd or AO stories?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks