Cannot tighten faucet on sink

Users who are viewing this thread

missing

Reaction score
Hello,

i have a old deep cast iron crane sink with the curved back where the faucets and handles come out in the middle of the sink. the curved part is plastic where the faucet comes out. The problem is that the faucet has a three connection fixture on the bottom of the faucet and above that is the brass nut that tightens down the faucet to the curved part of the sink.

i cannot get a sink wrench up there to tighten the faucet. And I am not sure if I can replace it with a new faucet that has one fixture coming out that will remove the mess of hoses and connections. Any ideas. Thanks.

Attachments

• crop DSCN0046.JPG
    crop DSCN0046.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,547
  • crop DSCN0049.JPG
    crop DSCN0049.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,554
  • crop DSCN0051.JPG
    crop DSCN0051.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,557
  • crop DSCN0052.JPG
    crop DSCN0052.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,490

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would try a telescoping basin wrench. If that doesn't work, I would disconnect the supply lines and tighten the thin brass nuts with plumbing sockets. You can pick then up at HD for only a few bucks. These are sometimes called "cowbells."

missing

Reaction score
thank you

thanks,

i thought of that, i just wondered if there was an easier way than taking it apart to fix that loose faucet? i guess not. i am going to look and see if i get a all in one piece faucet with a single handle or lever and the kind that pulls out. if it will fit and remove that tightening thing from time to time. any opinions on one brand or the other. dont need goild plated but functional and longevity will work for me.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
missing said:
thanks,

i thought of that, i just wondered if there was an easier way than taking it apart to fix that loose faucet? i guess not. i am going to look and see if i get a all in one piece faucet with a single handle or lever and the kind that pulls out. if it will fit and remove that tightening thing from time to time. any opinions on one brand or the other. dont need goild plated but functional and longevity will work for me.

I think all faucets will attach the same way and you'll have to tighten a nut.

Jason

Prashster

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to tighten it from time to time. Teflon tape and a washer should keep it relatively sturdy.

Basin wrench is probably the easiest way.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Looks like the flexible lines are pretty clean, so removing them to work on things shouldn't be an ugly job. Remember that when it was installed, all those hoses weren't there, so if they were able to get it installed in the first place, you should be able to tighten things up once you get the hoses out of the way. Basin wrench for the 3-way, deep sockets for the others, probably. Once you've got the hoses cleared away, though, it's only a little more work to replace the whole fixture, so do what feels best. Brand-wise, I'm a Moen fan.

Last edited:

missing

Reaction score
fender washer and plumbers sockets (cowbells)

hello

not to sound to ignorant,

but is a fender washer a generic name for a part or is it the known name for a washer that fits on the sink pipe.

plumbers sockets, went into home depot in san antonio, tx, nobody has an idea of what i am talking about or did i see one on the shelves.

any other name or manufacture that i may reference for the plumbers sockets.

thanks

it is hard when the sales people know less than the people they are selling to.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is what you need. They should sell them at any hardware store. As I said before, a lot of plumbers call them "cowbells".

Attachments

• Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,729
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A fender washer is a generic washer that is much larger than is needed for the hole in it. It can be used to bridge a large hole or to spread out the stress on a surface.

missing

Reaction score
pics of repair

here is how the handles and faucet attached to the sink. in case somebody has a similiar type and they are trying to repair.

i ended up making a rubber gasket under the fender washer and tightening the faucet nut with a lock type washer to keep the swivel action down.

checked all connections, new tape on threads, and more silicone caulk and put it back together. thanks for the groups help with my questions.

Attachments

• crop DSCN0116.JPG
    crop DSCN0116.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,500
  • crop DSCN0117.JPG
    crop DSCN0117.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,514
  • crop DSCN0118.JPG
    crop DSCN0118.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,476
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks