Need to install Washing Machine in old basement

Users who are viewing this thread

ianmckaye

Reaction score
I need to install a drain for my washine machine in the basement. Problem is the old cast iron only has two cleanout caps (one vertical and one horizontal) and clearly was never meant for adding anything. I have already removed the 1st cleanout cap above the main house trap (there was water in the bend so I assume it is the main trap) and I was planning on adding a Cast-Iron/PVC adapter using Oakum and plastic lead. I would then bring a PVC 1 1/2" pipe over about 2-3 feet and into a trap with would then lead up above the height of the Washing machine.

Is this a bad idea to add a drain into this trap? I dont have many choices since the old washer drained directly into the bathtub and has rotted out part of the bathroom floor (which is a whole other project for me).

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

Attachments

• rough plumbing sketch mod.JPG
    rough plumbing sketch mod.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 878

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Sounds like it should work for you. I'm assuming this is temporary. You're probably required to have a vent, but it may work without it. I've got a similiar situation now. Moved the cleanout (used a saddle tee) up stream and then tapped into the cleanout w/ an adapter to 1.5" for a sink and washer. Works fine. If you do need a vent, an air admitance valve might work for you.

Jason

Last edited:

ianmckaye

Reaction score
It will be only be temporary until I can figure out how to make it permanent. Ive heard about air admittance valves but am not sure how they work. Where would it be installed in relation to the trap? Ive only had to replace/repair plumbing in the past so I am not familiar with adding a new line.

Does it matter how far away I bring the pipe to the trap and washing machine? I was planning on placing the machine about a foot to the right of the 2nd cap which would make it roughly 3 feet across.

Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most newer washing machines require a 2" drain line. An aav basically has a rubber diaphram (it should be normally closed) that when a suction is generated by the water flowing, allows air into the system so the trap is not suctioned dry. if there is a backup in the drain, it will come out your drain.

CityKid

Reaction score
I just finished doing pretty much what you want to do. I'll try to get a picture up. Use 2" pipe instead of 1.5" and also, my washer stated to use a standpipe (the upright pipe the washer drains into) of at least 30" high.

ianmckaye

Reaction score
So the aav should be somewhere between the trap and the main drain?? Is there any chance of this setup interfering with the main trap for the house??

I also want to bring a hose from my de-humidifier into the same pipe as the washer drain so I can stop emptying the bin. I figure since a washer hose is typically loose inside the standpipe it wont hurt to have something else trickle beside it. Is this true?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ian

CityKid

Reaction score
But the washer pumps out the water. I doubt the dehumidifier does the same. Unless you have the dehumidifier higher than the drain. I say this after I have poured out the second 5 gallon bucket of water from my own today. :p

ianmckaye

Reaction score
I actually do have the dehumidifier up high so it can drain properly. Really just a trickle comes out of it though.

I had already used 1.5" pipe on the drain for the washer, otherwise I would have used 2". The washer seems to drain fine anyway. I may redo the whole thing with 2" when I add an AAV, but I havent decided.

ianmckaye

Reaction score
is adding a sink possible?

Would it be possible to add a sink somewhere along this same line? Would an aav valve properly vent 2 seperate drains if this is possible? I would love a large laundry style sink in the basement as well, but a hardware store worker said I would need a vent if I tried this.

Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks