Pressure Tank Replacement Question

Users who are viewing this thread

JKClaire

Reaction score
Hello, My old galvanized tank finally rusted out and I replaced it with a Well-Rite WR60-OLC 20 Gallon capacity. This is at my camp and I have a shallow well with a 1/2 hp jet pump drawing in the water. At first we had problems, and the pump would turn on but would not shut off correctly. It would quickly turn off/on/off/on etc..and then I would shut it down. We checked the pressure on the pump and set it to turn on at 20 and off at 40. We then checked the pressure on the tank and it was set at 40. we let some air out and now it is set at 28. Everything now seems to be working fine. good water pressure throughout the house and the pump turns on at 20 and off at 40. Is it ok to leave the pressure in the tank at 28. I thought I read that I should set it at 2% below the pump turn on pressure. Should I lower it to 18? If so how will it effect my water pressure? I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

regards,
-Jon
Henniker, NH

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Set the pump @ 18, 2 pounds less than cut-in. That is the norm for systems like you have.

Also, check the line between the head of the pump and the pressure switch; this is normally an 1/8" line and the brass fitting going into the head of the pump will clog. The simple remedy is a finish nail to open the obstruction, the proper way is to remove that connection and thoroughly clean it periodically.

Dirt might of caused your initial problem. It's worth looking at to see if there is any left.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
When the tank is empty of water (power off, open drain), you should set the air pressure in the tank to 2 psi less than the START pressure of the pressure switch.

If the air is 28 psi when the tank is empty, and the pump starts at 20 psi, then you will see a little hesitation as the system runs out of water before the pump starts.

Since you will get no water in the tank until the pressure is 28 psi, you will have less available drawdown from the tank if the initial pressure is 28 psi.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want higher overall pressure, use a pressure switch something like a 30/50 (if your pump can handle it), or a cycle stop valve; dont' do it by raising the static pressure in the tank. The tank is storing energy from the pump system. You just don't get as much water stored if you have the cuton pressure lower than the tank which causes the momentary hiccup that was mentioned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks